Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 07-31-2011, 08:46 AM

Default Brief Fish Camp/Goshen TR

I got back yesterday from this trip. It was a blast. I stopped counting fish at 40.

Fished around the campsite after I arrived on Thursday. I walked a ways up Fish Camp and caught one of the largest brook trout I have hauled in...prolly around 8-9 inches. The brook trout are farther downstream that I expected. On Friday, I fished both sides of the island. I managed to catch all three species within a matter of an hour or two. There was one lonely brown at the pool where the trail has its first water crossing coming up to #23...tip of the island so to say. The rest of the day was all rainbow and brook. After lunch, I made my way up Fish Camp to where it meets Silers Creek. Just as the fishing was getting really good, it started raining really hard. I slogged back to camp and just as I get there, it quits. So, I decided to make my way up Goshen Prong. I caught my biggest park rainbow in this water...10-11 in. The cool thing was that I caught several in this size. It make me wonder what kind of fishing pressure these waters get. Is this a heavily fished area? I really like this creek. The water was plentiful and the fish were awesome. Next time I go, I want to venture farther up Fish Camp. For my first real backcountry fishing trip where the soul purpose was to fish, I called it a success. I learn so much each time I go. I keep thinking its beginners luck but I might actually know what I'm doing. It was a great end to my first full year of this addicting hobby. I didn't take too many pictures because I was paranoid about dropping my iPhone into the water...but I managed to get a few.

Fish Camp Prong after the rain

Some sign posted in the middle of no where. Wasn't sure if its old, new, whatever?

Goshen Rainbow

Old 07-31-2011, 02:02 PM

I was up there at that sign a few weeks ago. It's one of the old ones. Not valid anymore. As for fishing pressure up there. Not much, the reason you see bigger bows right now is probably less fish per mile due to the drought a few years back. It will soon change again.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:04 PM

Sounds like you had a good trip. Did you go alone? How many nights did you stay?
Old 07-31-2011, 06:13 PM

Ya, I was solo. I might try to find someone on here that has some more experience than me to go with next time...maybe they can show me something I don't know about fishing back there. I stayed for two nights.

One of the coolest things happened while I was back there. While I was crouched down and casting, I saw something move out of the corner of my eye on the other side of the bank a little down stream. I looked over and saw a big coyote was lapping water out of the stream. It finished drinking and trotted down the stream's edge for a few yards then hopped back into the rhodos. It never did see me...it was pretty cool.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benintenn View Post
Ya, I was solo. I might try to find someone on here that has some more experience than me to go with next time...maybe they can show me something I don't know about fishing back there. I stayed for two nights.

One of the coolest things happened while I was back there. While I was crouched down and casting, I saw something move out of the corner of my eye on the other side of the bank a little down stream. I looked over and saw a big coyote was lapping water out of the stream. It finished drinking and trotted down the stream's edge for a few yards then hopped back into the rhodos. It never did see me...it was pretty cool.
I am not familiar with that area, but I am always looking for a backpacking partner and love to try new places.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:02 AM

I was up in that area Saturday morning and had a terrific 2.5 hours on the hunt. I hung out with a good size Bear at the Huskey gap intersection until he ambled up the trail toward the Goshen Prong Trail split.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:34 PM

You are talking about my all time favorite place in the park to fish. When I first started fishing in the mountains you could drive up to the forks of the river. Many a day we would arrive at the forks before sunrise and head up the trail at first light ....we had several different areas that we loved to fish....on the way up to Goshen Prong there is a spot where the trail veers to the left with a big bolder of white marble next to the trail...this would be the first decent area we would fish when there wasn't a lot of time.
The area that is below the high bluff where the trail narrows and climbs up and over the river is a real treat...water is flatter here with not as many plunge pools and has always been good dry fly fishing. The right hand side of the island was also a great stretch of water. My uncle and his brother in law would fish the Goshen Prong from where it meets the FCP up to a high water fall....first place to get back to the trail...caught mostly rainbows up to the falls and big ones. My buddy and I would usually fish up FCP past where it forks with Goshen and the biggest rainbow trout I have ever hooked in the Park lived in a deep pool up there...used to be an old rainroad bed that ran down the left side of the stream that helped get up back out....sure it would be hard to find now...I have a small rail spike from that bed that I now use as a paper weight....last time I fished as high as CS23 it was a single day trip that began at first light one day late in Sept. and didn't end until almost dark....hard fishing for someone my age. I am jealous of anyone that can still get up there and fish those waters...hope you can take more photos the next time you go...thanks.