Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 08-03-2011, 07:59 PM

Default The Caney is Fishing Tough

My Dad and I went up to the Caney with some other guys to drift the river. It fished tough to say the least. We saw tons of fish and some real big ones too. There were tons of kayaks and other various floating devices on the river. I think they definately helped make the fishing tough! The best way to go for us was #22 midges, really small indicators, and shallower shoals. The deeper runs held fish, but the fish in the shallower water seemed to be feeding a little better. We caught fish on all colors zebra midges. Here's a couple pictures of the nicer ones from around the dam.

RT's 18"er.

Dad's 17"er with a weird face.

My 16" redemption rainbow after losing a 18-20" one.

Overall it was a good weekend. We all lost some big fish at places other than near the dam. Tiny midges were the way to go. Hoping to go later this fall. I bet it will be MUCH better without the mass numbers of people on the river.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:03 PM

Really nice fish! Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:07 PM

Good stuff man. I did pretty good on high water today throwing streamers. Gonna see how it goes in the morning with the indy midges.

Curtis

Old 08-04-2011, 05:02 AM

Nice to see another young flyer. Good looking fish, I sure do miss it A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:23 PM

Fished Friday from 2-8pm. My lord was it hot! I waded down past the bluffs to the first bend with cows. It was TOUGH. I landed 3 fish and missed about 6. They were hitting 20's and 22's (when they hit). The fish have been ridiculously picky. I don't know how many fished "looked" and then "passed". I was using 6x fluoro and size 20 zebras. I don't know if its the heat, the 10,00 canoes/kayaks, or unbearable fishing pressure but I am done with the Caney until Mid September.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBKSTONE2 View Post
Fished Friday from 2-8pm. My lord was it hot! I waded down past the bluffs to the first bend with cows. It was TOUGH. I landed 3 fish and missed about 6. They were hitting 20's and 22's (when they hit). The fish have been ridiculously picky. I don't know how many fished "looked" and then "passed". I was using 6x fluoro and size 20 zebras. I don't know if its the heat, the 10,00 canoes/kayaks, or unbearable fishing pressure but I am done with the Caney until Mid September.
I'm sure it was a combination of all 3, but we're done with it until octoberish. I went all the way down to 7&8x. The fish were VERY tippett and leader shy. I'm ready for fall!
Old 08-05-2011, 02:31 PM

Nice fish!

Just an fyi for everyone fishing the Caney, I was launching my kayak from the ramp on the east side of the river a couple of weeks ago and the TWRA was up there checking licenses, etc... The officer made sure to point out the sign that said a life vest must be worn (about 50 yards off the ramp) from that point up to the dam...can't say I'd ever paid much attention to it but I will from now on.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:09 PM

Been fishing there 18 years and I've been checked TWICE. Two Sundays in a row 2 or 3 years ago.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worrgamesguy View Post
Been fishing there 18 years and I've been checked TWICE. Two Sundays in a row 2 or 3 years ago.
I must have a fish po po magnet. up until this year, I was checked almost every weekend. I was actually checked twice in the same day! Teach me to go from Happy to the Steps. I have a sportsman's license but it makes me nervous every time.