Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-01-2011, 07:01 PM

Default Too much generations so I went back to my roots today.

Raven's Fork in Cherokee........C&R Fly only section

$35 fee best spent at the slot machines IMO! The river seemed sterile to say the least, or maybe I have been away from freestone streams too long.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:34 PM

Ive never fished there.. how does that fee work? $35 each time you go?
Old 08-01-2011, 09:41 PM

It works like this......the websites are FULL of huge hatchery fish in the arms of some lucky actor....can't be a fisherman. The brochures are lovely, and signs are everywhere saying catch and release during day...POACHING at night! (just kidding, I think)

They take your money, show you the stream, your eyes get real big thinking about the 30" trout the flyshop says they release in there,and your eyes get even bigger cause at the end of the day you never see one, and then you dodge tubers all day that that probably didn't pay a 35$ access fee to fish......$25 1-3 day C&R , and then $10 1 day fishing license..

...at the end of the day, I should have been at the one armed bandits throwing $35 worth of quarters.

In Cherokee, "at the end of the day, the house always wins".

Last edited by Flat Fly n; 08-02-2011 at 07:51 AM..
Old 08-02-2011, 07:57 AM

I haven't fished the trophy water, but in this hot weather freestone streams fish pretty slow. So, you may want to give it another shot come fall.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:25 PM

The Cherokee tribal fishery is heavily dependent on frequent stocking, and the tribal hatchery was badly damaged and put out of commission by a flash flood that occurred in mid-July. They lost all their fish, estimated at over 3,000 pounds, including the large brood fish that they use to stock the trophy section.

It will be some time before the hatchery can be placed back into service. The sluices were filled with mud and the water gates were damaged. After repair, they will need to re-grow the trout fry up to catchable size. It will be interesting to see how they maintain the tourist fishery in the near-term without use of the hatchery. Perhaps someone closer to the situation has some insight. For the present time, I'd be hard-pressed to spend good money to fish tribal waters without some assurance that the fish count levels are being maintained.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:56 PM

Where were you Sunday night before we decided to make the trip over the mountain with this info! HA......funny how the flyshop didn't mention any of this when I spoke to him on Sunday and when we got there Monday AM....
Old 08-02-2011, 06:10 PM

July 17 Fearnofishbob reported on it right here, and he warned about fishing Cherokee, but no one followed up since, probably because it's slow fishing season with hot weather.

I think those of us who prefer wild fish are more concerned about the Straight Fork fishery. The wall of water that ran down the valley and engulfed the hatchery was reportedly over 8 feet high. Hopefully the wild fish hunkered down and rode it out.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:17 PM

That's marginal trout water anyway, I have had some good days on that stream on the res, but before June and after Sept. I got temps pushing 73 in July. That has a lot of bearing on the fishing in my opinion.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:55 AM

Perhaps some of the bigger fish decided to go upstream on the Luftee and points north to escape the higher temperature water on the res, then on up the Bradley Fork and other feeder streams like they did last year, especially the brookies looking for their ideal water temperature.

I never did think the res actually stocked heavily (even before the flood) anytime but in the spring when the season opens again for the trout and ramps festival. The lack of presence of stocking trucks on the roads (and I made notes) of the res on stocking days was my first clue. Trout don't walk or hitch hike, so how else would they get there.

And there is a lot of poaching on those waters by res members. Seen them sein the deep pools of the Luftee when it was still park land at night. Was also told the same thing by a res member.

-don't tell me why we can't, tell me how we can.- whitefeather
Old 08-05-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream View Post
July 17 Fearnofishbob reported on it right here, and he warned about fishing Cherokee, but no one followed up since, probably because it's slow fishing season with hot weather.

I think those of us who prefer wild fish are more concerned about the Straight Fork fishery. The wall of water that ran down the valley and engulfed the hatchery was reportedly over 8 feet high. Hopefully the wild fish hunkered down and rode it out.
Slip,
I fished those "wild fish" for many years. The knees, and feet are gone so running around on those boulders are not for me anymore. Why I am probably one of the handful of people on this board that fished Abrams Creek when it was designated a trophy trout stream with special regs. I used to wear the Big and Little Shoe out, now, I wouldn't even think about it without having a SPOT locator in my vest!

I was looking for something with fish in it for a guy who had travel from CO here with fishing stuff in hand, that is why I was trying Cherokee. While I miss the solitude of the small steams I have become an addict for the rush of seeing a backing coming off a reel. Besides, why fish for kittens when you can fish for lions.

So fish on in the backcountry young men and women and good luck, but I am taking this older body to the tailwaters, and to decks of boat. Thanks for the info on Cherokee.