Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-05-2011, 01:43 PM

Default in town and got a couple questions

I got a vacation that ends the DAY before I go back to teaching! Talk about cutting it close.

I got a couple questions to help me understand some things.

I fished Little River roadside one morning (8-10am). I got nothing!
Is it too low
or too hot
or was I too late to start fishing.
If I wanted to fish LR near Metcalf should I get there early and look for browns mostly?

I then went up above Elkmont and got a few, but not much. All the fish seemed to short strike.

My family went to Tremont and did much better. Not awesome but good enough for us.

Next few days I'm taking my bro in law for the first time fly fishing...So wish us luck.

And one more question....Is there a certain elevation I should be looking for to ensure suitable fishing?
Old 08-05-2011, 02:02 PM

I know that anywhere roadside, esp along LR gets more pressure than almost anywhere in the park, and as such, fishing this time of year is between as early and as late as possible. Where on Tremont did you go? Paved section, gravel section, etc? I would personally would look for less pressured stream, than necessarily a high elevation number. Perhaps instead of going up LR above elkmont, try Jake's creek - smaller water but somewhat less pressured. If you don't mind a drive, go over to twentymile, low elevation, but very little pressure. I have done well there this time of year even in the hottest part of the day.

Any way that's just my 2 cents worth.