Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 08-10-2011, 10:26 PM

Default Drifting the Hiwassee?

I'm headed up to the hiwassee in a couple of weeks to drift the river with some friends. I haven't been to this river before, so I was looking for a little advice. We have a hyde low profile that we will be fishing out of, and I was wondering if there was any particular stretch you guys would recommend floating. We aren't too bad on the oars, but I dont think I want to get into any real difficult situations. Also, what water level is best? I think that 0 generators isn't floatable, so what would you guys recommend? They have been generating from 1 to 2+ recently, but that may change by when we are up there. I looked at a hatch chart and the three main things it talked about for august were trico spinners, isonychias, and brown caddis. What patterns would you guys recommend for these? Also, what nymph patterns do you recommend for when there isnt any real hatch going on? I have plenty of hares ears, pheasant tails, and princes, but I was wondering if there was one or two real fish catchers for this river.
Thanks for any input!
Garrett
Old 08-11-2011, 03:42 PM

That river is loaded with golden stones. So carry Tellicos in 6-14 and along with your others you'll be fine. That's also a great streamer river. I don't think pattern is critical, but I've done well in white schemes.
Lynn
Old 08-11-2011, 05:07 PM

Any of those flies will work. Go to the Plan a Trip section on the website, www.hiwassee.net, for a number of flies. FWIW, I have never caught anything on a Tellico, even of the Tellico.