Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 07-11-2011, 08:55 AM

Default Tough weekend for reds

I fished Saturday and Sunday this weekend. The water came in really slow and low on Saturday. I saw one fish that was out in the high grass and did not have a shot.

On Sunday I fished another flat, and the water seemed to come in alot better, and I saw more fish. It was windy, and spotting them was tough. The first fish I saw was moving away from me rapidly, and with the wind direction was tough. I still should have managed to get him to eat, but after chasing him for about 100 yards trying to get a good shot he disappeared. I saw another pushing nervous water go by, but did not have a shot. Saw antother rapidly approaching bit of nervous water. The chop was so bad it was tough to follow. I managed to get a cast in front of this fish, and he did not see the fly. I made one more cast and a gust of wind took my fly and put it about 6 inches in front of him.......he didn't spook but immediately hit the fly and I could not get the slack out before he spit it. It was a very nice fish.

I saw another tailing in about 3 foot of water. I should say that I saw about 1.5 inches of tail once, then about 1/2 inch about 5 yards away. I ended up casting to the disturbance the fish was making tailing without his tail breaking the top of the water. He hammered my crab fly and ended up breaking me off.

I had one more chance at a fish, and managed to get it to eat, and get it to hand. He was right at 18 inches.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:04 PM

Great photo! Looks like you have upgraded rod and reel? Looks like you might be off Sam's Point?
Old 07-11-2011, 03:53 PM

Not off Sam's point. I have actually had that rod for the last three years, just hadn't used it much. I basically would save it because I had new fly line on it for fishing from a boat when I needed the extra distance on my casts. I wore out the fly line (after three years so I cannot complain, partiularly since I wore out two pair of flats shoes in the same amount of time). I acutally prefer to use my fli on the flat....just need to get some new line on that reel. I was off of the broad.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:25 PM

Funny you should wear out the shoes. We always fish from the boats. I really don't know any places around there to wade and fish. I guess I don't know where the sandy bottom area are and would not like to sink up to my chin in the muck with the tide coming in.

Quote Robert Earl Keene......."He's going out in style"
Old 07-15-2011, 09:53 PM

Hey John,
Headed to Fripp this week for our annual vacation. We have gone there the last five years and love it.

I am bringing a flyrod this year. I have never done any saltwater flyfishing. Done lots of freshwater flyfishing.

Do you have any tips for me as far as locations around Fripp or flies or technique?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Scott
Old 07-16-2011, 08:30 AM

Scott,
Crab patterns (merkin and kwan), spoon flies, redfish toads, etc will work for redfish. You can talk to Tony or one of his guides at bay street outfitters and they can give you a selection. I use an 8wt with 7.5 foot 20 lb leader with about 18 inches of 20lb tippet (this set up leaves me with a 9 foot set-up and the tippet on the end allows for tying on flies without shortening the leader too much. I just tye on more tippet when the tippet gets short and this prolongs the life of my leader).

The high tides next week are not particularly high, and run from about 11am to almost 4 pm by Sunday. Keep an eye on the water, if the wind is right it could blow extra water onto the flats making that 6.6 a 7.6 and better for tailing fish. If you have access to a boat or kayak you can try fishing the mud flats at low tide. The morning lows would be best and you might even see some tails in the low tide flats.

I don't really ever get on Fripp so I do not know of any spots there, but I have heard from reliable sources that there are plenty of spots on and around fripp...try google earth.

Talk to Tuck Scott, a guide at Bay street outfitters, I know that he fishes around the harbour river area and he might be able to give you some location tips. Let Tuck or Tony know that John Holbrook recommended that you come in.

Good luck and tight lines.

John
Old 07-16-2011, 10:39 PM

John,

Thanks for the information. I will check with Bay Street Outfitters.

We got here today, and spent a day on the beach.

I have never done any saltwater flyfishing, so this is going to be all new to me, but it should be fun trying to learn.

Thanks again for the info and tight lines to you as well!

Scott