Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-13-2011, 06:36 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to hillbillydave
Default Straight Fork

Has anyone fished Straight Fork lately , if so is it fishable or should try elsewhere in that area

thanks Dave
Old 08-14-2011, 05:52 AM

It is fishable....look at my post from 31 Jul-Aug2.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:49 AM

Dave, Straight Fork is probably one of the better streams in the Park. I haven't fished it since the flash flood a few weeks ago but it consistently produces nice fish. If you will go above the "million dollar" bridge and follow the manway it will take you to some nice water. ..........If you don't want to go high the water along the road is also great fishing ..Best to you..Bob
Old 08-14-2011, 01:21 PM

Yea it's probably my favorite place in the park if for no other reason easy access for us "YOUNG" folks and it is rather quiet and not a lot of traffic to much. Coming up tuesday thru saturday and was just checking cause of the flash flood in that area I heard about last month and the damage to the hatchery and that section of the river. How far up past the bridge are you talking about and are you talking about walking the river up. Never fished too much up pass the steel bridge Thanks for the info Bob.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:41 PM

I've fished droppers only a couple of times , my question is how far back from a dry do you fish your dropper.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillydave View Post
I've fished droppers only a couple of times , my question is how far back from a dry do you fish your dropper.
On the average, I would say 18-24". I wouldn't go much less or too much more in mountain streams. Too close, and the dropper won't have enough room to do its thing, too much and you'll have more problems with tangling etc. TRy a few different lengths and see what works best for you. Most times, it's best to use one size smaller tippet for the dropper to help with casting and movement of the second fly.

Neal
Old 08-14-2011, 02:38 PM

Thanks for the info Neal, will try that, was thinking about that length but wasn't sure and thought I'd ask. I've gotten to flinging drys more now than I use too , Did most of my trout fishing in my younger days flinging nymphs. Dave
Old 08-14-2011, 02:54 PM

Dave,

I have mostly used dries in the smokies or nymphs, usually separately. I used a dry/dropper rig the last time I fished Deep Creek in early July and it worked very well. Most fish hit the BHPT nymph, but a few hit the dry. The hit either very aggressively, was a good time on one of my favorite. I use tandem rigs a lot on tailwaters, from now on I will use them more on mountain streams.

Neal
Old 08-14-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineman19 View Post
Dave,

I have mostly used dries in the smokies or nymphs, usually separately. I used a dry/dropper rig the last time I fished Deep Creek in early July and it worked very well. Most fish hit the BHPT nymph, but a few hit the dry. The hit either very aggressively, was a good time on one of my favorite. I use tandem rigs a lot on tailwaters, from now on I will use them more on mountain streams.

Neal
Dave,

Also try a soft hackle as a dropper, can be deadly on mountain streams or tailwaters.

Neal
Old 08-14-2011, 03:55 PM

Will have to try the soft hackles if I get the chance ,never fished any before.I tye 3 colors of EHC that have worked for me pretty good - orange,black, and a neon green . Gona take my tying stuff w/me and try to tye some yellow EHC while I'm there just because I've never tryed yellow but know it's a good mountain color. I wonder if a green san juan worm will work as good as the green weenie Dave