Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-14-2011, 11:16 PM

Default Smoky Mts. Trip 8/5 -8/12

Went to the Smoky Mountains for my annual trip with the family this past week. I was able to get out early and hit some runs on Saturday 8-5 with my close friend BlueRadierFan. He guided me to several runs that he was familiar with, along with helpfull tips on landing trout. This being only my second time fishing in the Smokies, I needed all the help I could get. Our first stop was the WPLP at Greenbriar, only had one rise in about 30min. so we moved on to our next stop. Next we hit the EPLP and had several rises but no takers. We ended the day at Treemont, we had lots of rises and refusals, but I was able to get 2 Rainbows. I was so excited when I hooked the first Bow that I ended up not getting a pic. We worked our way on upstream for another hour or so and found some really nice runs. I was almost ready to call it a day, but decided to make a few more cast to a run after it had rested, and hooked into another Bow! What a great way to end the day!
My next time out was on Sunday 8-6 at Midnight Hole on the NC side of the park. This was quite a crowded area and I was able to get away from some of the crowd by doing some boulder hopping. I did find some nice runs, but not a single rise. This area is highly pressured and I need to improve my skills.
My last time on the water this past week was just up from the "Y" on the LP. I found some great runs away from tubers and the crowd. It was so quite and peacefull. I had lots of rises and 2 hard hits, but missed them. Lightening fast is all I can say.
It was a great trip, and I was able to double my numbers from last year. I think with more trips to the Smokies I should continue to improve my skills and numbers.

8in. Rainbow on yellow Neversink

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."
Old 08-15-2011, 12:25 AM

Yeah, the EPLR was rough that day. So was anything down low really. We'll do better next time. I think I had 5 that day counting fingerlings...not fun. You did well given I was rushing you and showing you so much. It would have helped if I had brought more of the yellow neversinks. Next we'll get off the roads and head up trail a bit. It was a fun day on the river with a good friend.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:23 PM

Smile

Glad you guys had a good time. I never have much luck fishing lower either, and usually have to hike in to find water more suitable for my skills, or lack there of.

The hardest part is hooking your first few, and you are already past that now, so hopefully things will get easier from here on out

Thanks for posting a TR

James
Old 08-16-2011, 09:45 PM

Thanks, Ducky it was fun. I usually do ok down low catching between 5-12 fish every 3-4 hours...this day was tough though. It was extremely hot. Fish struggled to get their breath back when released. I had one that I thought might not make it but finally did. Next year we are definitely going higher. Personally I'll be back next month (which reminds me; I have to order a reel from LRO)