Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-15-2011, 12:16 PM

Default All in a Weekend. 8-13-2011

This past weekend I headed up to the mountains early Saturday morning to squeeze in some fishing. While initially I had plans to stay an additional Friday or Monday, it just didn’t work out this time and I made do with what I had. When I got into town I stopped in at LRO to give them some business and picked up a few extra flies. Whatever you do, stay away from those Diamondback glass rods! Good thing it wasn’t payday or else I might have been tossing those flies on a new rod …

With no real game plan in place, I considered what was close by since it was already late in the morning and I was anxious to get on the water. So I went up MPLR with intentions on fishing for some brooks up high. Fishing was slow with a couple small bows here and there. I saw one really nice bow maybe 11"+ in a deep pool but he wanted nothing to do with my offerings. After a while I gave up on him and headed up to Sams Creek.

I don’t know if I was behind someone or not but I thought the fishing would have been better up there. I had a few small brooks to hand but not a whole lot of action. Maybe I needed to go higher? I certainly did not find the quality fish that I was after. Since it was now later in the afternoon, I started heading back down. I fished Thunderhead for a while also on the way out and found a few nice bows that fell victim to the green weenie.

After getting off the river I quickly headed down the road and went into #18 for the night. After setting up camp, I fished for a bit up until dark and missed a couple good fish. On the WPLR the fish hit just about every cast but all seemed small, still fun though. After a nice dinner of teriyaki beef with rice and a good campfire, I settled in for the night. That was up until about 11:53 when it started pouring like crazy and here I thought I wouldn’t need my rain fly … After getting out and putting it on, I did all I could to get some sleep and my poor old tent tried to hold together doing its best to keep me dry.

Sunday morning brought a break in the weather and provided a window for a quick hike back out. The river was still rockin’ but nothing compared to the night before... After heading out of Tremont I quickly selected my next target and ventured up to Elkmont, to fish one of my favorite little streams, Jakes Creek. With another quick shower Sunday morning right before I hit the river, I just knew the fishing was going to be good. It did not disappoint! Quite the turnaround from Saturday with 16 bows and 3 browns to hand and more takes then I can remember… Beetles and green weenies were the ticket in the higher water. Best fish of the day was a wily brown pushing 12” that came out of nowhere and devoured my beetle. I also missed an even bigger bow a few pools below him. Overall, a great weekend out in the mountains. Looking forward to getting back up there this Fall!

Tight Lines,

Last edited by tnflyfisher; 08-15-2011 at 12:31 PM..
Old 08-16-2011, 09:30 PM

My last time up to Sams 3 weeks ago, I walked for an hour before I even started fishing. Most successful trip up there yet. More fish, bigger fish. Just keep the blinders on as long as you possibly can. A few hundred yards above the second Sams stream crossing was where I finally jumped in. It's well worth the wait.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 08-16-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvr2L8 View Post
My last time up to Sams 3 weeks ago, I walked for an hour before I even started fishing. Most successful trip up there yet. More fish, bigger fish. Just keep the blinders on as long as you possibly can. A few hundred yards above the second Sams stream crossing was where I finally jumped in. It's well worth the wait.
Ahh, so cross over to the left and continue on up to another crossing and then go even further up...?? I must not have been in productive territory by the sound of it. Thanks for the info... will have to give it another try again soon...