Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-15-2011, 03:57 PM

Default Long Backcountry Hike Options

Old Tom is currently on the Disabled List and may not finish his rehab assignment before the end of fall. As a result, I've got PTO, a heap of fitness and a serious kitchen pass to burn so I'm contemplating a 4-5 day solo trip sometime towards the end of September. I've come up with a few ideas for trips but I'm curious as to what the board would do with this. General parameters are:
1) Relative seclusion, but still good fishing. The fishing is the more important of the two.
2) Upper limit of about 12 miles for the hike in/out each way, day trips of maybe 3-4 miles from base to different water. I could move camp, but I'd rather not.
3) Prefer the NC side of the park.

Some of the ideas I've come up with so far are:
1) Hazel. Hike in from the dome to Calhoun. (I've got fitness, not necessarily smarts.)
2) Eagle. From the dam to either Eagle Creek Island or Big Walnut (96 & 97, respectively).
3) Forney. From the dome to Huggins (69).
4) Deep Creek. From 441 down to, um, somewhere.

I've never been that far up Deep Creek or to Eagle. Seems like I'd have more feeder options on Deep Creek than Eagle.

So if you had more fitness than sense and some time to kill, what would YOU do?

Tommy

Tommy

Last edited by Younger Tom; 08-15-2011 at 11:35 PM..
Old 08-15-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younger Tom View Post

Tommy
Hike to #44 and then bushwhack a couple miles further into the interior...

Seriously though, I have been possibly looking at a trip just like this for the upcoming Labor Day weekend. I think Forney Creek sounds like a good prospect as well and I was considering staying at #70. Looks like a lot of fishable water up there and I have been wanting to try it out for a while now. Or I might just follow my own advice mentioned above...

Tight Lines,
Old 08-15-2011, 07:40 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnflyfisher View Post
Just make sure you know what you are doing, and I wouldn't go solo if you haven't been in there before.

That's some serious backcountry and with the rhodo hells, etc. Also remember if something happens you are most likely on your own.

If it flashed like Straight Fork, Sams, Roarring Fork have recently you would pretty much be screwed.

My advice would be to go with someone who knows the area, and also have my plans and routes with my buddies (my personal rescue squad) to come bail me out in case something happened.

Don't want to discourage anyone from going, just want them to have the right expectations.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:42 PM

Smile

Quote:
Old Tom is currently on the Disabled List and may not finish his rehab assignment before the end of fall. As a result, I've to PTO, a heap of fitness and a serious kitchen pas to burn so I'm contemplating a 4-5 day solo trip sometime towards the end of September. I've come up with a few ideas for trips but I'm curious as to what the board would do with this. General parameters are:
1) Relative seclusion, but still good fishing. The fishing is the more important of the two.
2) Upper limit of about 12 miles for the hike in/out each way, day trips of maybe 3-4 miles from base to different water. I could move camp, but I'd rather not.
3) Prefer the NC side of the park.

Some of the ideas I've come up with so far are:
1) Hazel. Hike in from the dome to Calhoun. (I've got fitness, not necessarily smarts.)
2) Eagle. From the dam to either Eagle Creek Island or Big Walnut (96 & 97, respectively).
3) Forney. From the dome to Huggins (69).
4) Deep Creek. From 441 down to, um, somewhere.

I've never been that far up Deep Creek or to Eagle. Seems like I'd have more feeder options on Deep Creek than Eagle.

Tommy

Tommy
I think any of your ideas sound good If it wasn't for the seclusion factor, I'd say 47. Could get plenty of seclusion on the water, but would most likely see others at camp.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Believe it or not, while I was formulating this plan on my run this morning that's one thought that crossed my mind. I would LOVE to go there. I've done a lot of off trail hiking (even solo), but that's where I draw the line for a solo trip. I've been to #47 before, too, and it's not a place I would fish solo. I like smaller water with fewer fatal consequences.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:
But **** that's an attractive trip. Purely as a day trip because I would NEVER do anything against park regulations.

Edit - I seem to recollect a thread about cross country camping permitting camping at areas other than campsites, but with a permit. I heavily utilized this at Rocky Mountain NP. What are the chances of getting a permit for off trail camping in this area for an extremely conscientious traveler? Would like to hear others experiences. I can be emailed at tzmitch at gmail.com or PM'd if you like.

Last edited by Younger Tom; 08-16-2011 at 12:08 AM..
Old 08-16-2011, 08:21 AM

I talked with the reservation office the other day and the gentleman said that they no longer issue cross country permits unless it is research related. I enquired as to why and he said they just had too many problems.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
Just make sure you know what you are doing, and I wouldn't go solo if you haven't been in there before.
Don't want to discourage anyone from going, just want them to have the right expectations.
Understandable, I was kidding more or less... There would have to be some legitimate planning to pull it off and I wouldn't go with just anyone either. They would also have to be experienced in the woods, so to speak. Sorry I missed you up at #47 this weekend. Could never lock down the extra day off and just didn't have enough time. Made it up there but stayed around the TN side.

Quote:
But **** that's an attractive trip. Purely as a day trip because I would NEVER do anything against park regulations.
It can be done in a day and others have done it...

I have not personally done it but you have to start somewhere right ...?
If you camp at #44 and get out early in the morning, you could be down stream in about two hours. Fish all day and leave some energy, food and water for the way out which will of course take longer to get back to #44. I have a lot of backcountry experience living in the Adirondacks but I know I would not do it solo myself. Now, if you are looking for people crazy enough to go along ... I've convinced myself it would be worth it...

However, this is sort of off topic for what the thread was started for and don't want to mislead people into thinking this is an option for a day hike...
From what I have seen so far, longer backcountry trips seemed to be focused around Hazel Creek and Forney Creek. Both of which I would also like to try. Noland Creek also seems to be another popular destination. If you are looking for people to go with, let me know.

Tight Lines,

Last edited by tnflyfisher; 08-16-2011 at 10:27 AM..
Old 08-16-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:

However, this is sort of off topic for what the thread was started for
I'm all about hijacking threads! It was a good mental exercise anyway, just imaging what it would be like to make that trip. And imagination is probably where it will always stay.
My inclination so far is towards Forney, partly because I really like that stream and there's a number of feeders available that I've not yet fished, and partly because Old Tom might be able to float on over and pick me up at the lake instead of having to go back up the hill and we'd get to fish together some.

Anyone have an idea that I haven't thought of?
Old 08-16-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I'm all about hijacking threads!
Is that even possible to hijack your own thread... ?? lol

I was just apologizing more or less for steering things in a different direction...