Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 08-17-2011, 03:10 PM

Default Dont forget to pinch those barbs

I know I often forget to pinch them down when I purchase a fly and stick it in my box. I get to the river and just tie it on. I had a little reminder last evening how important it really is. This one took it fairly deep and I didnt notice any bleeding till I downloaded the pict onto my laptop. I think he will be fine. I unhooked with forceps and kept it in the water for a pict. Does the tail on this smallie seem excessively large for a 13" fish or is it just the magnification effect?

Old 08-17-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
Does the tail on this smallie seem excessively large for a 13" fish or is it just the magnification effect?
I think it's a perspective thing. Looks to me like he's got his tail flexed toward the camera a little bit, and things in the foreground tend to look somewhat larger relative to things further in the background.

Good reminder on the barbs thing, too. I've gotten to where I pinch down the barb before putting the hook in the vise when I'm tying but then I forget to debarb anything I buy from a shop. Oh, well!
Old 08-17-2011, 04:42 PM

Smile

Most people forget how nice it is to have a barbless hook when you bury one in your finger or elsewhere on your person. Perhaps I am the only one to be so careless!
Old 08-17-2011, 10:25 PM

I agree on the barbs. Ask anyone who has ever fished with me, I literally won't let you cast if there is a barb on the hook. Trout, bass, tarpon, whatever, and it is as much for the fish as it is the fisherman when they have to dig them out.

Even with barbless hooks I have unfortunately killed a couple of smallies over the years when they inhaled poppers into their gills and over the course of the fight it tore a gill raker free, and the fish bled to death. Stuff happens, however I believe it can be avoided by pinching the barbs.

The most egregious thing I witness both trout and bass fishing is poor fish handling. Dry handing fish, "popping flies out" (tearing them out), and using cotton net bags.

Folks just don't realize the damage they do, and think they are releasing fish in good shape to fight another day.

Smaller bass usually do have a slightly larger tail then fully mature fish, it probably helps them navigate current better, feed more efficiently, and escape predators more easily.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:53 PM

Looks like it's got some junk in the trunk. Fish are like alot of us. Some butts are bigger than others. I bet thats a new sub-species Jenniferous Lopezii I've been hearing about.
Lynn
Old 08-21-2011, 09:22 AM

Nice fish. But it's a "blood sport" with risks all the way around.
Reduce the risks, and you reduce the injuries to the fish and yourself. Simple.
Silver Creek, Idaho......total stranger walks up looking for help.

Seagull - Beaufort SC...windy day, pitching seas, removed it and he kept fishing!

Last edited by Flat Fly n; 08-21-2011 at 01:44 PM..
Old 08-21-2011, 10:50 AM

OUCH!
Old 08-22-2011, 01:17 PM

When I teach a tying class, this is the first thing I say. First, pinch the barb-it's easier to remove from the fish and easier to remove from you. Also, it saves from tying a fly and having the hook break on a finished fly!
Old 08-28-2011, 11:41 AM

Gary....Glad to see you are still catching fish...jealous...hope to be up there sometime when the water is at a normal level...when I first read your post topic I was afraid that you had a hook embedded somewhere on your person....my mom caught my dad in the ear with a old bass plug that resulted in a trip to the ER with the lure dangling from my dad's earlob....used to kid him about his body piercing and earring when he would comment about the young kids today...