Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-19-2011, 12:55 PM

Default fishing report 8-18 and some other questions

I have been recovering from ACL reconstruction all summer and preparing for graduate school exams at UT but have finally received the OK to go fishing

after the long hiatus several things came to point very quickly
1) im out of practice
2) fishing is ALOT tougher since the spring
3) and most importantly how happy i was to finally get back outside and how much i really do enjoy the sport of fishing

After stopping at LRO to check out some rods (Im thinking very seriously about a TFO BVK 4WT...anybody have any experience with these rods?) and get some beetle patters i headed up to little river above metcaft bottoms for the first time since traffic seemed light and the wading would be much easier there i was told compared to my usually Treemont and Greenbriar destinations.

i started with a big fat green beetle i had and a green weenie dropper around 4PM i started fishing. i found the water to be very low and had a hard time locating good looking runs to effectively fish since its hard being stealthy with a stiff knee. I had such a hard time with my casting to start! but eventually got it back and missed 2-3 definite trout hits and caught a chub. at 5 or 5:30 the rain hit and it just opened up! rained like **** for about 15-30 min(i didnt take my phone out to watch the time)

after the rain subsided or shall i say reduced to a sprinkle i started fishing again but the water had become cloudy during the rain so i packed up and headed up top Elkmont just to see what was there. i have a few questions about where one would park to fish once they got to the campground and where inf act you would fish? up Jakes Creek? it looked very small or just in the little river through the campground? i only fished the section where the road split and went 1.5 miles up to the entrance to elkmont but again the water was murky and i only had 2 hits neither of which i think the fish actually bit and more likely swatted at my neversink caddis.

all in all a poor day fishing but a great day to be out!

before it rained i took one picture of a large stone fly for yall to enjoy

if ur squeamish dont look but i also got my X-Ray back at my check up! i thought it was cool! its AMAZING what is possible in todays medicine
the screws u see hold my new ACL in place

Old 08-19-2011, 01:06 PM

I have an 8.5 foot 4wt BVK and I am very happy with it. It casts great and I very much enjoy the rod, I have it lined with 5.5 wt line.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMax View Post
after the rain subsided or shall i say reduced to a sprinkle i started fishing again but the water had become cloudy during the rain so i packed up and headed up top Elkmont just to see what was there. i have a few questions about where one would park to fish once they got to the campground and where inf act you would fish? up Jakes Creek? it looked very small
That's the best time to fish those small streams...
Maybe not in your condition right now but don't overlook them too quickly. I have pulled 11"+ browns out of there on back to back trips but I think the key was recent rain and higher water... hard to pass upthe LR though when you are right there. Much easier to fish and more of them. I just happen to like those little streams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifish4wildtrout View Post
I have an 8.5 foot 4wt BVK and I am very happy with it. It casts great and I very much enjoy the rod, I have it lined with 5.5 wt line.
The 8' 3wt isn't bad either and it has a cool extention that you can buy that turns it into a 10' 3wt. I also prefer them with a heavier line though like ifish does...

Tight Lines,
Old 08-19-2011, 10:40 PM

I have a 4wt TFO and it is my favorite rod. I am very clumsy and have broken it twice and love the fact that TFO has replaced it for only the price of shipping. As long as TFO is on business I will own this rod for life-no fault for a clumsy guy like me. I plan to buy a 5 wt soon!