Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 08-28-2011, 09:35 AM

thanks daniel but do you have to overload these rods with a one size larger than rated line and were you using WF or DT lines?
Old 08-28-2011, 10:30 AM

FlyRed,
The RIO Gold is a WF line. We were using 5wt on a 5wt. The line loads faster rods well but isn't as heavy as a RIO Grand or SA GPX. I don't think you need to go up a line size with the ONE.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:54 PM

HA, Nice one wolf, that was funny. Good review on the rod by the way. Your buddy in Jacksonville says hello
Old 08-28-2011, 09:39 PM

Cool Hmmmmm....didn't think about that

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Drake View Post
Flyred,
When the sales rep had the rods here we were casting them with RIO Gold fly lines. That line loaded the rod better than the lighter trout lines.
The "One" I cast had a Rio Gold 7 on a 7rod unless they are a half size too?
The BIIIx 7 had a GPX mastery on it, which I think is a .5 size bigger.
That would certainly explain the "softer" feel I mentioned on the Winston.

Not that it matters much....I still had to drive the Honda from the Ferrari store. They WERE nice though!
Old 08-28-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyred06 View Post
waterwolf, don't let this guy highjack your post with his immaturity. We all know you as a senior member and your accomplishments along with your great reports, so don't even go to his level. With that said I have a question about how you set the rod up. What line and size are you using? I am always interested how different lines cast on different rods and if you have to oversize lines to load rods better. Can you please provide that info? I cant wait to see some pics caught off that rod.
I am using a Sage Performance taper WF6 on it now. It seems to do fine, however with that said, yesterday the wind was howling and I was throwing a pretty **** big popper. It did not amaze me like it did last weekend, but I do not think anything would have been great with the wind we had.

Last weekend, it was windless and throwing the same fly/line it was effortless to cast. Let you know more after this coming weekend.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:43 PM

Default waterwolf

went to a local fly shop close to home today and cast the ONE in a 9' 6weight. Very Very sweet rod. I can say I believe it has surpassed the zaxis. I might have to find ONE in my future. Thanks for getting the bug started for me to buy another new rod.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:47 PM

I don't own a "One" yet but I have cast several of them. I think we have sold a couple so far. I was impressed, especially with the 6 wt and a Rio Smallmouth Line on it casting on grass. Personally I was impressed with accuracy but I didn't have any other brands out there that day to compare to. I am meeting with the Sage sales rep again tomorrow so I'll probably make some comparisons if time allows. I fished all day today with a avid 26 year old guide. He wore me out on the lake. I hope my arm is up to the challenge tomorrow.

Byron
Old 09-07-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Begley View Post
I don't own a "One" yet but I have cast several of them. I think we have sold a couple so far. I was impressed, especially with the 6 wt and a Rio Smallmouth Line on it casting on grass. Personally I was impressed with accuracy but I didn't have any other brands out there that day to compare to. I am meeting with the Sage sales rep again tomorrow so I'll probably make some comparisons if time allows. I fished all day today with a avid 26 year old guide. He wore me out on the lake. I hope my arm is up to the challenge tomorrow.

Byron
I need a 4wt, you all have one in stock nine footer BTW.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:52 AM

The Sage "One" is certainly a nice rod. Anyone inteested in a 9 foot 4 weight would also be wise to consider the Hardy Zenith. The 9 foot 4 weight with a Scientific Anglers GPX line is a dream in MHO. I also used one for a day with a Rio Gold while very nice (I promptly purchased one after using it) I think the GPX loads the rod a little nicer.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:10 PM

Sage one, better performer and cosmetic's plus made in usa.