Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Salmon and Steelhead

Old 09-19-2011, 12:16 PM

Default Kings and Cohos

Spent several days with a good friend on a Lake Ontario trib, swinging bunny flies to the salmon. A salmon double is well worth remembering!!! Had tremendous success. They say these salmon won't hit flies when they enter a river. WRONG. I had two take a fly off the surface. Single hand spey casts with an old XP 9 wt. worked well. I had a couple of hundred yard dashes after the larger ones. Winters are a tad chilly up here, but all in all, I count my blessings. My real fishing starts in Nov. for browns and steelhead.

Charlie
Old 09-19-2011, 02:50 PM

Most excellent Charlie! I can't wait to see some chrome

Old 09-19-2011, 05:07 PM

Great pictures and great fish....Thank you for sharing.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:16 PM

Nice!!!

Bet those guys had a lot of fight in them.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:19 AM

Hows the fishing going now that it's close to November. How about a new report Charlie. Are they still taking surface flies.Can't wait to hear from you.
Lynn
Old 10-23-2011, 06:18 PM

Smile

Lynn, the salmon are on their redds and steel have come in the river and are staging behind the redds with the male kings. Fishing flesh and egg colored comets and bunny flies and eggs and floating them high over the redd then quickly dropping down into the zone is very effective right now. Broken water 3-5 feet deep below the redds is also producing with blind drifts. Dark stones and nymphs working there also. I am going to fish Thur. dawn to Sat dusk, I'll post up the results. Thanks for asking. I've been working long hours to get the block of time. Snow at the end of the week! It's steel time!!! Thanks for asking.

Charlie
Old 10-24-2011, 04:55 PM

Bluefish can't wait to hear the new report. I've never fished for steelhead or salmon. I love the idea of the sight fishing though. My favorite thing to do,the visual take is more than I can stand. I seek out those opportunities here. Are there any browns that enter the river as well?
Thanks Lynn
Old 10-24-2011, 06:03 PM

Lynn, browns are starting into the river, mid- Nov. is the best for them. I'll be going then,too. I've spent alot of time sightfishing carp. Good practice. There's some oppurtunities on the South Holston I know of for sightfishing browns. I visited yearly for a long time. It involves streamers, shallow water, and very early mornings.

Charlie
Old 10-24-2011, 08:54 PM

Charlie, just saw this post. Glad to see you hanging out on this board and hope you'll continue to share!

David Knapp
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 10-25-2011, 10:02 PM

Charlie the south holsten is one of my favorites. Been fishing it for about 12 years now.My home water is the little river,lots of opportunities there as well as the Clinch for sight fishing. Fed a 22'' brown that was midging a streamer just last week. One minute he's eating small and the next hes eating a 5'' long streamer. He ate just like it was a midge,just kind of slurped it in. I love carp fishing too. Alittle earlier this month they were in the riffles eating crawdads. I'll dead drift super buggers to them, awesome stuff.
How long do the fish stay in the river. We have a good spawn here,but nothing like the diversity your having. Keep the reports coming, I love reading this stuff. It's almost like I was there,Almost.
Thanks again,Lynn