Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 08-31-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDuncan View Post
I started a project like this last year, bought some clearance columbia hiking sandals at Gander and replacement felt soles that I cut to size. How did you attach them to the sandals? I used the adhesive that came with the felt, but it didn't hold very well.
I didn't use replacement soles. I bought 8 squares of felt from hobby lobby, sewed 4 together per sandal, cut them to size and used some adhesive called "E-6000".
Old 08-31-2011, 03:35 PM

Jay may be right about the rod tube I would say like with anything it depends. I am pretty careless throwing my pack down and going through rhodo I have got the light tube rod hit in the rhodo pretty hard. I have used it for a couple of years and not broke my rod yet. But also my rod is a very cheap rod not sure I would put an $800 winston in a flourescent light bulb holder to save a few ounces. I just bought a $30 4 peice 5wt cabelas rod that I wouldn't hesitate carrying in there.

I also have been known just to carry a $1 plastic emergency poncho. Better than nothing if it rains and lighter than any fancy rain jacket. Of course not breathable but works. Going lightweight you will have to make some trade offs like that unless you want to spend a lot of money.

I have seen Spotlight got a motorcyle on facebook he is probably out terrorizing the streets of Blount county about now.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 08-31-2011, 03:55 PM

The fluorescent bulb tube really does work surprisingly well. I've had it get caught on/slapped by rhodo countless times, and have yet to have it hurt the rod. I would say for 90% of my trips that rod tube is fine. Especially shorter trips where if the worst case scenario happened and I did somehow break the rod, well I could always go back to that spot. When Im on a 4 day long trip, Im probably going someplace I wont be back to in a long while, so I want to take the extra precaution. that one time I slipped on a wet rock on a down hill slope and fell square on my back. Only time its ever happened, and even then the rod survived. Ill get a weight on that PVC tube soon, the fluorescent bulb tube weighs less than an ounce id guess.
Also, Im only putting a TFO pro 4 piece in that little tube, so Im out 40 bucks in the cost of s/h fees under the lifetime warranty.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
I have seen Spotlight got a motorcyle on facebook he is probably out terrorizing the streets of Blount county about now.
Oh lord. That is the last thing that wildman needs.
Considering how fast he drives that little neon, I can't imagine him on 2 wheels.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:31 PM

Ducky,

Now is a good time to be looking into upgrading gear. Lots of end of season sales at local stores and the online retailers. Unfortunately the local retailers are very limited in what they carry, and I have a hard time finding what I am looking for.

I am actually placing my order tonight for a Big Agnes Cross Mountain bag for May thru October camping. My current bag, which sweats me to death in the summer, is a 30 degree Eureka bag that weighs in at 4lbs and only compresses down to 10" dia x 13". The Cross Mountain should work great with my Insulated Air Core. However, I do agree that those Exped DownMat's are sweet! Did you know they are releasing a DownMat UL for 2012?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_U8cTeQCtw

Also looking for a quality semi-light 2 person tent for my son and I.

So, in a way I am trying to do the same thing you are. However I am trying to build my gear from the ground-up instead of replacing stuff.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 09-01-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post
Ducky,

Also looking for a quality semi-light 2 person tent for my son and I.

So, in a way I am trying to do the same thing you are. However I am trying to build my gear from the ground-up instead of replacing stuff.
Are you still looking at that Kelty Grand Mesa 2?
Backcountry is having their semi annual sale right now. Lots of good deals on tents. Also, I was down at Riversports the other day and they had a pretty good deal running on the MSR hubba hubba tents.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:32 PM

I use a homemade pack that weighs 16 ounces and a fluorescent lamp guard tube for protection of my rod.

I also made a cuben fiber rod sleeve for my Orvis superfine that weights 1/2 an ounce.

With flyfishing gear, I am around an 8 pound base weight. Down or synthetic quilts are something to take a look at if you are looking for a new sleeping bag. They can be much cheaper, and they cut weight by eliminating the insulation that is otherwise compressed on the bottom. I use one from Hammockgear, it is very nice. I do not use a hammock.

I am constantly switching out shelters, but I've used a NEMO gogo ex, a Tarptent Moment, a Hammock, and just switched to a Six Moon Designs Wild Oasis tarp.

I use a Zlite, but you may want to look into a neoair short. I think they are around 9 ounces. You can then just place your pack under your feet or a section out of the zlite. I converted my dad to lightweight packing and he uses this system.

As someone already stated, Event is really good for rain gear.

Here is a picture of pack and rod sleeve.

Last edited by RFork; 09-01-2011 at 06:14 PM..
Old 09-01-2011, 07:09 PM

Smile

That's a sweet pack! Want to sew up another? Are there good places to look for recipes for gear? I didn't want to pay for a backpacking light membership

I just think I'll go with the lighter cheaper rod holder. I've only broken my rod twice in 2 years, you know they say the third time is a charm. Thank goodness it's a TFO
Old 09-01-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
That's a sweet pack! Want to sew up another? Are there good places to look for recipes for gear? I didn't want to pay for a backpacking light membership

I just think I'll go with the lighter cheaper rod holder. I've only broken my rod twice in 2 years, you know they say the third time is a charm. Thank goodness it's a TFO
Ha I am there with you on the breaks. I've broken my superfine once, once my fault, and a G. Loomis once. Thank goodness for good warranties!

I'd be glad to make another.

I got back from an 8 day trip in the Yellowstone/Absaroka area and the fluorescent lamp guard tube work exceptionally well. I'm hard on my gear as well, and I never felt like I had to baby it. They come with a top as well, which is nice. I just pair that with the rod sleeve to stop rattle. A sock wrapped around the rod works well too.
If you need to contact me my email is mpd1690 (at) gmail (dot) com

I am not 100 percent sure what you mean by recipes, but if you mean kits, Backpacking Light has a lot of good lists to glean info from. Its free for the forum, just some articles require membership.

Last edited by RFork; 09-01-2011 at 07:46 PM..
Old 09-02-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannyknot View Post
Are you still looking at that Kelty Grand Mesa 2?
Backcountry is having their semi annual sale right now. Lots of good deals on tents. Also, I was down at Riversports the other day and they had a pretty good deal running on the MSR hubba hubba tents.
Granny,
After checking one over, I was less than thrilled with it. Not that it was a bad tent, just think I could wait and spend $50 more and have a great tent. I am leaning toward either a Marmot Limelight 2, REI Half Dome 2, Mountain Hardwear Drifter 2, or a Big Agnes Lynx Pass 2. However, I think the Limelight 2 is leading because of the combination of footprint, value, weight, and features.

I also checked out various packs today at Blue Ridge Mountain Sports. They had a couple Gregory Z55's on sale that were very tempting, but the Osprey Kestrel 48 and Osprey Exos 46 were very nice too. I think a 45 to 50 L pack will be sufficient. Most of my gear, although it is not ultralight is still lightweight, and very compressible. So, I don't think I need a 65L pack for 3 season backpacking. I am going to take all my gear over to the store and put it all in a pack and see which one holds it best and is still flexible and comfortable.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler