Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 09-20-2011, 09:12 AM

Talking Thanks for all your help guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFork View Post
Ha I am there with you on the breaks. I've broken my superfine once, once my fault, and a G. Loomis once. Thank goodness for good warranties!

I'd be glad to make another.

I got back from an 8 day trip in the Yellowstone/Absaroka area and the fluorescent lamp guard tube work exceptionally well. I'm hard on my gear as well, and I never felt like I had to baby it. They come with a top as well, which is nice. I just pair that with the rod sleeve to stop rattle. A sock wrapped around the rod works well too.
If you need to contact me my email is mpd1690 (at) gmail (dot) com

I am not 100 percent sure what you mean by recipes, but if you mean kits, Backpacking Light has a lot of good lists to glean info from. Its free for the forum, just some articles require membership.
When I first looked at BPL all I saw was the paid articles, and thought that is what you needed to get on the fourms also. I found all the info (plus lots more) and appreciate you guys turning me that way.

I am glad to report I have reduced my pack weight significantly. It was over 45 pounds, and is now just under 20

While I had to make some compromises such as wearing in my boots, and ditching the fly vest, and thermarest chair, I should still be in total comfort. I'm sure the lack of the "haul" will make the trip more enjoyable.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:45 AM

I finished getting my pack ready for next weekend, and WITH food, I'm at 19.7 lbs. And that is with no super-expensive fancy ultralight equipment. Sacrificed some things, but its going to be completely worth it.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:21 AM

Duckpaddler and JayB,

I am impressed by your pack weights and realize that I have included a couple items that I think you chose not to include in your packing list.

1. I include waders @ 2 lbs 2 ounces for my earily spring and fall trips. That's what happens when you get older and more tender.

2. I still carry my wader boots @ 2 lbs 13 ounces and use hiking shoes for my trip into the backcountry. That's what happens when you get older and more tender.

So if i add lets say another 5 pounds for my extras to your 20 pound total, that gets me at 25 pounds that seems really good to me.

My question is are you including food and water in your weight totals and how many days of food are you carrying.

Something i use that you might find interesting after hiking and fishing all day in your wader boots. Sprint Aquatics Mens nylon mesh shoes. Weights 4 ozs and costs $4.95. Will not last forever and wont win any fashion shows but for the cost and weight you might find interesting after wearing those boots all day.

www . sprintaquatics . com
Old 09-20-2011, 11:01 AM

I've heard about those Mac, didn't realize they were so cheap, I'll have to try those. As for camp shoes, I either take flip-flops, my five-fingers (which are good for hiking in as well if I dont want to wear felt wading boots), or just go barefoot at camp. My 19.7 lbs does include 4 lbs of food for a 4 day trip. It does not include water, since we are going to be near water the entire trip, I tend to drink at breaks, and then carry the bottle empty, or with just a very little water in it. No point in carrying it when I'm going to be surrounded by it.
I am taking wading boots for this next trip, but Ill be wearing them the whole trip until the last few miles, so I didnt figure them into my carried weight.
If this next trip weren't offtrail, I wouldnt be nearly so concerned with weight and pack size, but it has been fun stripping my pack to its bare essentials this trip.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:59 PM

Default Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
When I first looked at BPL all I saw was the paid articles, and thought that is what you needed to get on the fourms also. I found all the info (plus lots more) and appreciate you guys turning me that way.

I am glad to report I have reduced my pack weight significantly. It was over 45 pounds, and is now just under 20

While I had to make some compromises such as wearing in my boots, and ditching the fly vest, and thermarest chair, I should still be in total comfort. I'm sure the lack of the "haul" will make the trip more enjoyable.
That is a very good reduction. I have gotten mine down significantly, and the compromises you are making will be a joy on the trail.

Who knows, you may go crazy like I have and get down to a 5 to 8 pound baseweight!
Old 09-20-2011, 07:28 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFork View Post
That is a very good reduction. I have gotten mine down significantly, and the compromises you are making will be a joy on the trail.

Who knows, you may go crazy like I have and get down to a 5 to 8 pound baseweight!
Yeah, I could see that happening

If the weather is nice, I might ditch my tent & take just the floor & rainfly and save another pound. I've already starting going pretty nutty. If I had some more money right now, I think I would buy a z pack backpack and save almost another 2. If rain is unlikely I may also ditch the 5x7 tarp, and save another 3/4 pound by the times you add the line & stakes. I think I may have caught something.

My complete fishing set-up is right around a pound and a half. That was the weight of my fly jacket alone, and the rod carrier was 18oz. I think 6+ pounds of weight reduction is attributed less fishing gear. Now all I have is: My Wal-mart $6 ultralight backpack (3.7 oz) so I still have room to carry water, rain gear, first aid,lunch, etc, A pair of nippers on a zinger, A set of small hemos, a bottle of Frog's Fanny that I attached a 2.5 inch of weed eater line with some electrical tape so that I could hang it off the chest strap. A small foam orvis fly box full of dries & nymphs, 3 pack of liters, spool of 5X, micro container full of gink, a zip lock bag creel, and a $1 walmart knife, and a small pill container that has yarn and a few indicators. I am still carrying the reel in its case, and made a tube holder for my TFO
Old 09-20-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
Yeah, I could see that happening

If the weather is nice, I might ditch my tent & take just the floor & rainfly and save another pound. I've already starting going pretty nutty. If I had some more money right now, I think I would buy a z pack backpack and save almost another 2. If rain is unlikely I may also ditch the 5x7 tarp, and save another 3/4 pound by the times you add the line & stakes. I think I may have caught something.

My complete fishing set-up is right around a pound and a half. That was the weight of my fly jacket alone, and the rod carrier was 18oz. I think 6+ pounds of weight reduction is attributed less fishing gear. Now all I have is: My Wal-mart $6 ultralight backpack (3.7 oz) so I still have room to carry water, rain gear, first aid,lunch, etc, A pair of nippers on a zinger, A set of small hemos, a bottle of Frog's Fanny that I attached a 2.5 inch of weed eater line with some electrical tape so that I could hang it off the chest strap. A small foam orvis fly box full of dries & nymphs, 3 pack of liters, spool of 5X, micro container full of gink, a zip lock bag creel, and a $1 walmart knife, and a small pill container that has yarn and a few indicators. I am still carrying the reel in its case, and made a tube holder for my TFO
Sounds like you have the right idea! I recently made a new pack and a new fishing lanyard pouch that mount together. I used to not carry anything to keep my fishing gear in, just my pockets, but after an incident in Yellowstone of having my fly box pop out of my pocket. I used it the other day just doing some fishing and it worked great for me.

Hard to beat 6 dollars for a 3.7 ounce pack. Sounds like you have a pretty good ultralight fishing setup.

Also, those ZPack packs are supposed to be really nice. I have talked to their owner via email and he is a nice guy. I buy some of my material from there. I use the same cuben that he uses (as I get it from him) and it really is great stuff. Everyone I've shown the raw material to is extremely impressed by its durability. Everything I've heard is that Zpacks make excellent gear.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:46 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
Duckpaddler and JayB,

I am impressed by your pack weights and realize that I have included a couple items that I think you chose not to include in your packing list.

1. I include waders @ 2 lbs 2 ounces for my earily spring and fall trips. That's what happens when you get older and more tender.

2. I still carry my wader boots @ 2 lbs 13 ounces and use hiking shoes for my trip into the backcountry. That's what happens when you get older and more tender.

So if i add lets say another 5 pounds for my extras to your 20 pound total, that gets me at 25 pounds that seems really good to me.

My question is are you including food and water in your weight totals and how many days of food are you carrying.

Something i use that you might find interesting after hiking and fishing all day in your wader boots. Sprint Aquatics Mens nylon mesh shoes. Weights 4 ozs and costs $4.95. Will not last forever and wont win any fashion shows but for the cost and weight you might find interesting after wearing those boots all day.

www . sprintaquatics . com
I just made a sheet - I'm up to 22 - I have been looking for a extra shoe idea and might just take your suggestion

Back pack – Dueter Futura Zero 40 - 51 oz
Sleeping Pad – Thermarest Neo-Air 25x2.5x long - 19 oz
Tent – Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 – 47 oz (27 oz if I leave tent body at home)
Down Jacket – Patagonia Down sweater jacket – 13.1 oz
Stove – Trail Designs & AGG Caldera kitchen – 17.6 oz (includes 5 oz alcohol)
Rain Jacket – Montane Light speed H2O – 6 oz with sack
Rain Pants – Mont Bell – 10.1 oz with sack
Sleeping Bag – Western Mountaineering Linelite – 15.1 oz with sack
GPS – Garmin Etrex Hcx – 5.2 oz
Camera – Pentax Optio – 5.7 oz
Steripen – 5.5 oz
I-phone waterproof case & water proof headphones – 4.1 oz
I-phone – 5.3 oz
2 pair extra socks – 6.6 oz
Wal-Mart daypack – 3.7 oz
Rod in case – 6.6 oz
Reel in case – 7 oz
Ziploc with rest fishing stuff – 5.7 oz
Fly Box with all flies – 1.9 oz
Fleece hat + Polypro gloves – 2.8 oz
5x7 Tarp with rope & stakes – 12.7 oz
Camo fishing shirt – 8.8 oz
Underwear – 2.2 oz
MSR Packtowl - 2.4 oz
Kokatat Insulation shirt – 8 oz
First Aid Kit – 2.1 oz
Petzl headlamp – 2.8 oz
Toilet paper biodegradable – 1.1 oz
Lexan fork & spoon - .7 oz
Duct tape – 1 oz
Extra batteries for headlamp, GPS & Steripen – 2.9 oz
Small Gerber Knife - .5 oz
Soap, sanitizer, and insect repellent in small containers – 1.7 oz
Small lighter - .4 oz
Recharger for I-phone (was $7 online shipped) – 1.9 oz
Carabineer for bear hang - .2 oz
Whistle - .7 oz
Stuff sacks – 3.2 oz

282 / 16 = 17.625 pounds Base weight (should have deducted fuel)

2 full water bottles - 36.2 oz

Swiss Miss – Marshmallow lovers 1.1 oz
3 fruit leathers – 1.7 oz
2 packs cookies - 4.1 oz

3 granola bars – 2.8 oz
Tea & Coffee packs - .6 oz
Sugar pack (lots) – 1.1 oz
PBJ –
Taco dinner –
Bacon & Hash browns –

20.6 total plus around another pound and a half for food I haven’t weighed so right at 22.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:08 PM

Thanks! Ducky finally gave up the list. I have been waiting for someone to post theirs. I would like to know more about ultra-light rod tubes for packing it in. Thanks, Curtis

Old 09-21-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtyman View Post
Thanks! Ducky finally gave up the list. I have been waiting for someone to post theirs. I would like to know more about ultra-light rod tubes for packing it in. Thanks, Curtis
I couldn't find a recipe either. Just go to Home Depot in the lighting aisle and pick you up a clear plasitic Bulb protector for a flourescent bulb. Tape one end closed with electrical tape. Cut tube to length of rod, and slip rod n there. If you really picky put a little foam on each end and use second cap for a top. Holder weighs only 2 oz 6.6, by the time you add my rod and the TFO cloth holder