Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 10-01-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckwalla View Post
That's it. QTY 1 will get you six feet. They will "round" you up to the min qty.
Thanks Chuckwalla, ordered a tube yesterday, since they are in Ohio hopefully it will arrive by Wednesday for my trip down. (I have been using the flo. light bulb tubes).
Old 10-03-2011, 11:02 PM

US Plastic shipped very fast, new light rod tube arrived today..

Comparing the Butyrate tube to the fluorescent bulb tube - the butyrate is going to provide significantly better protection. With the light bulb tube, I knew if I set my pack down the wrong way, the light bulb tube would provide no protection. The butyrate barely compresses when I squeeze hard with both hands; it will provide protection from the pack weight.

The extra protection comes at a cost of ~6 ounces; 8 ounces for butyrate tube vs. 2 ounces for fluorescent bulb tube. The extra weight is a no brainer - worth it to me.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:07 PM

Default Butyrate

I may have missed this but what do you use for caps on the ends of the Butyrate tube or does it come with them? I used a flourescent tube light tube and had no problems but I wasn't very confident in its strength.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattblick View Post
US Plastic shipped very fast, new light rod tube arrived today..

Comparing the Butyrate tube to the fluorescent bulb tube - the butyrate is going to provide significantly better protection. With the light bulb tube, I knew if I set my pack down the wrong way, the light bulb tube would provide no protection. The butyrate barely compresses when I squeeze hard with both hands; it will provide protection from the pack weight.

The extra protection comes at a cost of ~6 ounces; 8 ounces for butyrate tube vs. 2 ounces for fluorescent bulb tube. The extra weight is a no brainer - worth it to me.
What'd that tube end up costing you? I use a fluorescent bulb thing now and am not too thrilled with it. Its light but adds no strength at all. Adam (crockett) doesn't mind sitting on his pack and rod though and hasn't broken one yet...
Old 10-05-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundele View Post
What'd that tube end up costing you? I use a fluorescent bulb thing now and am not too thrilled with it. Its light but adds no strength at all. Adam (crockett) doesn't mind sitting on his pack and rod though and hasn't broken one yet...
I was just testing it

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 10-05-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
I was just testing it
Test with your own pack/rod.... Not mine
Old 10-05-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexfly View Post
I may have missed this but what do you use for caps on the ends of the Butyrate tube or does it come with them? I used a flourescent tube light tube and had no problems but I wasn't very confident in its strength.
The caps are sold separately, but are cheap..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundele View Post
The minimum 6 foot length tube and 4 end caps totaled $24.02 for me. (I paid $1.47 tax since it is in state).

I ordered the following item numbers:
42133 6 Foot Tube 1-7/8" x 2" x 1/16" Tenite Butyrate Tubing - $16.68
42107 (4x) 2" ID Poly-E Cap For Tenite Tube-Pak; 1" Inside($.22 ea) - $0.88

-Matt-

p.s. On a similar note, I pulled out a scales and noticed I could drop 2.5 ounces by leaving the rod sock behind. I will be putting the rod straight into the tube. I had been using the sock with the fluorescent tube so I will now only be 3.5 ounces heavier..

Last edited by mattblick; 10-05-2011 at 02:06 PM..
Old 10-05-2011, 02:27 PM

Thanks. I will be getting that in the near future.