Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 09-05-2011, 11:35 AM

Default Floating Clinch above Weir Dam

Not knowing anything about fishing the steams in Ten. I went with a guide my first few times. It was fall and we floated the Clinch near the dam and above the weir. One generator was going. We took out below the weir. The guide simply went over the weir dam in the drift boat. I was wondering does anyone else do this? I have went thru chutes that were worse out West. After going over it several times It appears to be easy enough as long as you kept the boat straight.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:46 PM

Well its something I wouldn't do in my boat, but I have seen it done. If I'm not mistaken it is against the law. I would say TVA would fine you pretty good if they caught you doing so. Be carefull .
Old 09-05-2011, 12:53 PM

Exclamation Weir Dams are killers

The particular weir you are talking about is a much newer design that is most likely safer, but I wouldn't attempt it unless you really knew what you were doing. In over 12+ years of paddling whitewater, the only place I really thought I might have drown was on the weir dam from Big Creek leading to the Pigeon. Someone roped me out (pays to play with other who take rescue classes annually), and saved my butt. It took uf 45 minutes, and a tethered swiimer to recover my boat. This was with people who were much better trained than the rescue squad.

If you keep your forward momentum and are able to maintain speed you will most likely plop through there like it was nothing. On the other hand, scrape on something and lose speed, or change you angle slightly, and it may be the last move you ever make

The first things paddlers are educated to are the dangers or strainers (downed trees), Undercut rocks (Plateau if full of them), sieves (rock strainer), recirculating hydraulics (don't spit you out), Flood waters, and WEIR DAMS.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:58 PM

Exactly, weir dams are more dangerous because there is no outlet. Some say you can actually swim to the bottom and out, but who could keep there head in the game at time like that? I couldn't.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:51 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Fly n View Post
Some say you can actually swim to the bottom and out, but who could keep there head in the game at time like that? I couldn't.

In a recirculating hydraulic if you are properly trained you may be able to swim to the bottom & out. I took a swiftwater rescue class where we jumped in on purpose to did just that. Most people like myself got 3 or so spins before you can catch the green (downstream) water. Just getting your fingers to penetrate what feels like a solid concrete wall into this water was enough to grab and pull you out. One guy got 7 or 9 spins, and another guy had to be rescued from the instructor. I'm glad I did it and it made me less scared of recirculating hydraulics, but the next year I just took pictures as the others did it.

In a weir dam the force or water slams you into the concrete (or rocks in this case) leaving no green water as an escape route even if you knew what you were doing. The only thing that might help is the newer design where some of the water since it falls on the rock cages is sieved out which is supposed to make it easier to walk out, but I bet it would still kill you most of the time. In my opinion jumping off Elk River Falls (60 feet) into the pool below would be much safer. Not that I would recommend that either.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:10 PM

This is what is called "Canadian Mist'ed". We all drowned.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:20 PM

Sure it can be done. I have done it a bunch, and you may have been in my boat on the trip over the weir. IMO there are better floats to do and much less trouble then sliding boats over dry land to launch, and then riding over the weir.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:14 PM

One question leads to another. The reason I inquired about floating from the dam to the weir is it is my understanding this section is the only section worth fishing in the late fall and winter or is this bad information. Perhaps Rodonthefly or Waterwolf or someone with experienced in fishing the Clinch can shed some light on this.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trico View Post
One question leads to another. The reason I inquired about floating from the dam to the weir is it is my understanding this section is the only section worth fishing in the late fall and winter or is this bad information. Perhaps Rodonthefly or Waterwolf or someone with experienced in fishing the Clinch can shed some light on this.
Bad info, the whole river fishes well year round. There has always been this urban legend that the upper river fishes better in the winter because the fish run upstream to spawn. Totally BS from what I have experienced. There is spawning going on all over the river, and the fishing down river stays the same no matter what the calendar says.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:46 AM

Waterwolf, thanks very much for your reply.