Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-04-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyred06 View Post
I am headed up tommorow also. So I find this great info. What about around elkmont?
flyred, IMO the "plunge pool" streams are better during low water levels. Greenbriar, WPLP, Roaring Fork, even then it's best to head upstream. If I was fishing Little River I would hike several miles above the campground. Deep Creek is another option if you hike several miles above the campground. I did well there several years ago during the drought, but I was 3+ miles above the trailhead.

Neal
Old 09-04-2011, 12:17 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineman19 View Post
Hey, I have no doubt that the upper Greenbriar is decent as well and Cataloochee gauge is terrible for this time of year. I don't have a link for the Straight Fork gauge, would you be willing to post it?

Neal
Neal I'm sure you are right about other places still being good to go. I hate it that the Middle Prong of the Little Pigeon in Sevierville went offline so now you must use the TVA flows, which just gives you last reading, and no graph (what you really need to predict to hit the bubble of water for kayaking, and miss it for fishing). I guess it's better than nothing

While unfortunately there is no direct guage on Straight Fork, you can usualy figure it out by using this guage.
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?03512000

With the total cfs yesterday of whole Tremont & Little River watersheds equaled only a 1/4 of the Ocoluftee, I figured Raven's had to contribute about 20% of that which meant that Raven's had more water (Once Tremont watershed is deducted from Little reading) than the Little

Saw lots of fisherman after hiking back on Hyatt Ridge, anyone from this fourm?
Old 09-04-2011, 12:37 PM

duckypaddler,

I need to head up to Raven and Enloe before I get much older. I'll probably end up going solo. Is Enloe as hard to fish as the Upper Greenbriar or harder, terrain wise that is?

Neal
Old 09-04-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
duckypaddler,

I need to head up to Raven and Enloe before I get much older.

Neal

It is already to late for me, should have went sooner. I went with Duckypaddler yesterday and all I can says is "Dead Man Walking."
Old 09-04-2011, 03:38 PM

Thanks for all the info guys. I didn't end up going into the smokies, but fished a blue line I found instead. The water was low, but it rained a few times as I was fishing. I had by far my best small stream day!
Old 09-04-2011, 04:01 PM

Smile

Quote:
duckypaddler,

I need to head up to Raven and Enloe before I get much older. I'll probably end up going solo. Is Enloe as hard to fish as the Upper Greenbriar or harder, terrain wise that is?

Neal
Enloe is much smaller than Upper Greenbrier. Not sure if you are referring to the section up to the turnaround or above to Buck Fork. If you are comfortable on Road Prong (adding the hike) you should be fine. I don't remember anything being sketchy, but I spend alot of time crawling up streams.

If you don't want to go solo, I can always be easily talked into going up there
Old 09-04-2011, 04:51 PM

Default Mac Your Kung Fu is weak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
It is already to late for me, should have went sooner. I went with Duckypaddler yesterday and all I can says is "Dead Man Walking."
Yes, you are getting old and your Kung-fu is weak!
Old 09-04-2011, 07:43 PM

just got in from the mounains. went to tremont and it was ok. caught some fish and saw several nicer trout in deeper water but due to some really rude people coming down on me and throwing rocks in my pool no hook ups. but if this water levels continue then roaring fork was also nice and these would be my suggestions by what i saw.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:23 AM

Default Stream Gauges for TN

This may not help many but it should help some that just want a quik way to check stream levels. If the update time is more than an hour that usually means there is a drastic change one way or the other in flow also if you click on a link and go inside then you can click on another to get to a graph which sometimes is helpful. But I will let you figure all that out.

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/co...mary/state/TN/
Old 09-06-2011, 08:52 AM

Geez the little river is blown out way too high to fish now!

Hehe just wanted to kick it off right.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...

Last edited by Crockett; 09-06-2011 at 09:56 AM..