Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 09-09-2011, 05:39 AM

Seems to me that calling BS requires no explanation and no rationalization.

Poor manners; make him carry the net, row the boat and leave his own rod at home while he keeps his mouth shut and pays attention...

If you show some respect perhaps you'll learn something.

Now let's all be nice to one another. LOL Hey, this is fishing; we don't need to be so darn serious!!!
Old 09-09-2011, 09:46 AM

Default well actually

it is the South Fork of the Holston River Waterwolf, but who is counting (sorry, couldn't help the pun).

I would like to have a final word especially to anyone who feels insulted by my post.

I never intended to call anyone out. If you, and I know some of you do, catch the quantities stated, I WILL CARRY THE NET FOR YOU AND LEARN FROM YOU. When I hire a guide, my first instruction to them is TEACH ME HOW TO CATCH FISH ON THIS RIVER, I am a student of the sport and life.

I hope this will be put to rest. With favorable release schedules from T.V.A. maybe we can all go out and catch fish and forget it.

cockeye
Old 09-09-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockeye valdez View Post
cockeye
Don't worry about it bro! Some people get testy at times and some people are more matter of fact. We all have our temperaments and ways of handling them. I do try to lend an optimistic and believing approach to most forum members' posts. You will learn who know what they are talking about and what kind of person they are by reviewing their posts.

Anyhow; I rarely invite people to fish with me. Nothing personal; just that I usually like doing my own thing. But; you are welcome to fish with me some time. I can offer you kindness and a few pointers from my treasure chest if you are interested. Just shoot me an email some time.

For a Clinch Report; I have not fished the lower end of the river in about a month due to the coal creek runoff. Plus; I do not like the slack water around the church area. Above is a different story. I caught my biggest fish this year on a fly rod yesterday. It was a 20" brown and it took me about 10 minutes to get him in. I complicated things by not taking my net. I ended up having to trap him again my body to land it. I ended up with about 25 fish in about 2 1/2 hours. That is about average for this time of year. The water clarity was dark due to the clouds. There was a massive hatch of small gnats and a few large-size midge hatches. Fall is my favorite time of year to fly fish and it is just now starting.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 09-09-2011, 01:14 PM

CV -- no problem. These suggestions have already been mentioned earlier, and I agree that 2 ways to flatten the Clinch learning curve is to :

1. befriend and fish with people who "know the ropes" (I have spent yrs on my own just learning a few basics)
2. float the river as much as possible --- it's the best way I know to get to the less heavily fished areas (and the lower Clinch you mentioned usually takes a pounding on weekends).

Good luck and hope to see you out there some time. I'll be happy to share what little I know with you, but I'm still learning after a lot of years of trying!

Phil
Old 09-09-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockeye valdez View Post
it is the South Fork of the Holston River Waterwolf, but who is counting (sorry, couldn't help the pun).

I would like to have a final word especially to anyone who feels insulted by my post.

I never intended to call anyone out. If you, and I know some of you do, catch the quantities stated, I WILL CARRY THE NET FOR YOU AND LEARN FROM YOU. When I hire a guide, my first instruction to them is TEACH ME HOW TO CATCH FISH ON THIS RIVER, I am a student of the sport and life.

I hope this will be put to rest. With favorable release schedules from T.V.A. maybe we can all go out and catch fish and forget it.

cockeye
You didn't insult me, heck if I got insulted that easily I would cry all the time. I just wanted to set the record straight, along with others who did the same.

I would be happy to help you out if we cross paths on the river sometime. But I wade fish alone, can't stand going wading with others as there are times I want to stay/leave when others I am with have different plans. I also fish with the same folks each weekend, and it is a nightmare making room for everyone in the boat each day.

I am pretty easy to recognize on the river, or so I have been told. Best of luck with the fish.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:30 AM

He's easy to recognize by his beady little Weasel eyes and scampering demeanor down the river bank.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:26 PM

Following all of the posts on this thread the first thing I'll say is I hope everything is settled and there are no hard feelings between anyone. I would also like to say some very good points have been made here on learning to fish a river. It would seem obvious to me some of the individuals here put in a lot of time on the river. I do not know Shawn Madison aka Madison Boats. But I get the impression he spends a lot of time on the Clinch. I have viewed his photos and videos he has made. No doubt others here have put a lot of time in on the Clinch. I mention Shawn because of his past posts. I hope I am not being over familiar and taking liberties by calling him by his first name! I think this is what it takes. I also would not be surprised if he is very skilled at fishing the Clinch. I think too many times anglers get the idea because we have fished a lot and around the country we should do well everywhere we go. But to do really well it takes time to get a handle on things as every piece of water has it's own quirks. These are best learned thru experience. Our past experiences and general knowledge we have certainly help but unfamiliar water or water we have limited experience on is ....well....different. Being all of this is just my opinion it may not account for much either!
Old 09-10-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
Phil; ugh t oh... you let a pic of your streamer sneak out
I stole most of that from Seagull's (D.C.)dadgum "Christmas Bugger".....I just changed the material, used a bonefish hook for strength, and attached a rudder for the tail. ( I showed it at Troutfest )

PS. The last time we fished together in my drift boat, Seagull had over a dozen before we got to Peach Orchard,and by about Offut Shoals I was heard to say, "please don't make me use a bugger". He caught an insane amount of fish that day years ago, as I was trying to "match the hatch".

PSS...if someone wants to know what I am fishing, wade on out, just have a life jacket on.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
He's easy to recognize by his beady little Weasel eyes and scampering demeanor down the river bank.
I am getting too old too scamper, I just scurry anymore. I was told last weekend, that I appeared like a phantom when the fog lifted. Apparently the gentleman downstream of me was having a tough time figuring out why fish were free jumping upstream of him for no apparent reason
Old 09-11-2011, 08:50 AM

Default Reflection: 9/9/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trico View Post
....I mention Shawn because of his past posts. I hope I am not being over familiar and taking liberties by calling him by his first name! I think this is what it takes. I also would not be surprised if he is very skilled at fishing the Clinch...
Trico, I appreciate your kind respect and praise. It seems like you have some old-school manners and I have great respect for that trait. In response to your assumptions; I do not like to talk about my fishing skills as I am an extremely humble person. I think my fishing style is one that is UN-ihibited and could best be described as "free-style". I do not worry about heeding to traditional styles of casting, presentation, or getting focused on one issue or another. I have found that my progress/enjoyment has come from learning how to adapt and read what is going on around me. I went through a huge learning curve and I was always open to the helpful tips of others, but not governed to them. I guess that I am trying to say; define what YOU want out of fly fishing and challenge yourself to reach it. Focus on enjoying each and every moment. Most of all; fight like **** to keep negativity and influences from poisoning your spirit. We have a limited amount of opportunities to do things in life that make us happy and we should do the most to take advantage of them. I was humbled on the Clinch Saturday. I only caught about a dozen fish and it was a challenge. I am thinking the full-moon may have been the impedance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Fly n View Post
I stole most of that from Seagull's (D.C.)dadgum "Christmas Bugger".....I just changed the material, used a bonefish hook for strength, and attached a rudder for the tail. ( I showed it at Troutfest )
Throwing streamers is probably my weakest area in fly fishing. I have a pretty good comfort zone with my casting and presentation. However; I am limited in experience and utilizing them. I have been working on this to try and land a few of more larger fish. Thanks for sharing your advice and tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
I am getting too old too scamper, I just scurry anymore...
I can relate. I feel like an oaf stumbling around the river. My body has been challenging me with back issues that past few years.
to choose, to respond, to change.”