Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 09-05-2011, 10:48 AM

Default Fishing with Mac & Cheese

It's always a pleasure to meet fellow fourm members, and this trip was almost two years in the making. As many of you are well aware Mac and his brother Colby enjoy getting off the beaten path and fishing remote stretches of water in the Smokies, and since that is what I live for, it was nice to finally get out there with them and fish.

Turns out Colby lives about 10 minutes from me, so I picked him up at 4:55 to ensure we would have enough time to complete our trip. We met Mac a little after 6:30 on the other side of the mountain and fueled up withy a good breakfast (Mac was a class act and bought me mine).

We were soon heading up the mountain, all sweating like pigs. Saying Colby & Mac like to give each other a hard time would be an understatement for sure. The comments about each other needing more time in the gym, etc, were quite entertaining and served as a great distraction as you are heading up the mountain.

Once on the water, I was initially a bit dissappointed as the fishing was real slow(too early in the day). Mac & Colby were fine with it, just happy to be soaking up a great day in paradise. As the day progressed the fishing got better. We worked our way upstream and continued to push through what feels like Eden. At first I was worried that we may be going a bit slow to complete our trip in a reasonable time, but the terrain soon eased and we were making great time. Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves, and the fishing was getting better & better. We soon hit the point where we knew our day would be over, and prepared for the hike out. We made it out in good time, and it felt much better climbing out without a heavy pack on my shoulders. We went to dinner afterwards before heading back over the mountain (Thanks for dinner Colby), and made plans for future trips (It's hard finding people wanting to fish remote places. If you like this kind of fishing, I'm always looking for others to gto with). I had a great day, and unless they are just real good liars, I think they had a great time too.

A few pics from our trip:
http://www.duckypaddler.com/fishing-...c--cheese.html
Old 09-05-2011, 11:30 AM

Beautiful report and photos Ducky. That was some fantastic looking water, and it appears that the Barbie Bug was the primary weapon of choice. Never fished one of those, but think I will need to add it to my arsenal.

Just out of curiosity what is your typical day trip round-trip walking distance?

I think I need to increase the distance I walk in, but it is usually just too hard to pass up so much fishy looking water. However, it looks as if the rewards are so worth the wait.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 09-05-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post
Beautiful report and photos Ducky. That was some fantastic looking water, and it appears that the Barbie Bug was the primary weapon of choice. Never fished one of those, but think I will need to add it to my arsenal.

Just out of curiosity what is your typical day trip round-trip walking distance?

I think I need to increase the distance I walk in, but it is usually just too hard to pass up so much fishy looking water. However, it looks as if the rewards are so worth the wait.
I don't really have a typical day. Some hike in's are just a few miles (sometimes even less). Other times you may be looking at 5+ miles each way with several thousand feet of elevation change. I am always just looking to explore new places (haven't gotten 1/4 of my "to do" list done for this year), and to go back to other places I find special. I can easily be talked into anything if it's in Greenbrier or Raven Fork areas as they contain many special places that have never been raped by man. Also I will be more likely to pick a spot based on what area has the best water at that time for fishing. It pays to know how to interpret rain guages and the online stream guages.

And yes, in just 20 more minutes of hiking, you can probably cover 3-4 hours of water to fish, so with a little self control, can lead to great days fishing. While I fish a bunch, I still consider myself an educated amateur, and owe much of my success to lack of pressure
Old 09-05-2011, 12:09 PM

Well done (as always) duckypaddler. Awesome looking water and great looking specs and bows. Impressed by the size of both species.

Neal
Old 09-06-2011, 01:27 PM

Great report, dp. Not sure Mac & Cheese will ever take me fishing, but I am available for dinner most any ol' time.