Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-06-2011, 09:05 PM

Default Late September Flies

Planning a trip the w/e of 9/24 and wanted to get some advice on what flies I need to get. I have the green weenie, but have read about some others (barbie fly?, neversink caddis?) that I don't know about. What should I take for my yearly trip? Thanks!
Old 09-06-2011, 09:28 PM

Smile

Usually things go from yellow to orange this time of year.

I saw nice sized stone flies (I would guess between size 8 to 10), crawfish, a bunch of the Isochara (horrible spelling little black flies), and worms in a tanish yellow, white, and green in Rainbow Stomach contents this past weekend.

I have seen orange mayflies on all 3 of my last trips.

I'm sure others here can give better suggestions
Old 09-06-2011, 10:16 PM

lexfly,

You didn't say what kind of waters of you would be fishing, but I agree with DP on the dries, never hurts to have some parachute adams, gray and yellow body even this late in the summer season. I would have some nymphs as droppers, BHPT, Tellicos, and some soft hackle wet flies, orange or yellow bodies.

Good luck,

Neal
Old 09-06-2011, 10:31 PM

I have always had great luck in September/October with a white weenie. I have a fellow tie these for me as I haven't seen any of them in any flyshops. They are identical to the greenies ...only white.........Hope you do well !!
Every fall I see some small wooly worms that are white on the banks and trees while I'm fishing and I had a friend tie some for me patterned after the greenie. Works for me
Old 09-07-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineman19 View Post
never hurts to have some parachute adams, gray and yellow body even this late in the summer season.
I agree...
Sure seemed to work this past weekend. Found the brooks really picky and skittish with the low water and they almost ignored the dries I was throwing but they liked the BH soft hackles and green weenies droppers. Tie on an adams and they just seem to come to them like moths to a flame... It took about 5 casts with the adams on another creek and I had a nice 10" brown to hand...

Tight Lines,
Old 09-07-2011, 10:26 PM

Default thanks

Pineman. We are going to hazel creek, staying at bone valley. I hope to hike up high one day so I can catch some brookies. I've never heard of a white weenie, I may try to tie something like that before we go. Thanks for all the info!
Old 09-07-2011, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexfly View Post
Pineman. We are going to hazel creek, staying at bone valley. I hope to hike up high one day so I can catch some brookies. I've never heard of a white weenie, I may try to tie something like that before we go. Thanks for all the info!
Lexfly,

I haven't fished Hazel, but I would take some nymphs to try for some of the larger browns that can be caught in that stream.

Neal
Old 09-08-2011, 04:50 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I don't get to the mtns much these days so I want to make the best of it. Will report back.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:32 PM

My go-to fly for year around is the tan Elk Hair Caddis. I have had great success with it in the Park. Either it is real good or the fish are not too smart.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:18 PM

It's time for the October Caddis. It's one of the larger caddis, maybe a size 8=10. It is also unique in that the pupa leave their cases and will be available to the fish for a couple of days before they hatch.