Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 09-15-2011, 09:16 PM

yea if they want to make a guide licence a requirement. then it needs to be state wide. not just for tailwaters.

if you are getting paid to take someone fishing. then buy a guide licence. and your guide licence should cover the fishermen in your boat.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:55 PM

NO MORE! The cost of the out of state licenses is already high enough.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:44 PM

Default update

The fishing guide license options presented were 1) no change to existing rules or no guide license required; 2) fishing guide license required ($200 for residents, $1,000 for non-residents); and 3) fishing guide license required (the same fee of $200 for residents, $1,000 for non-residents) and guides would need to meet qualifying criteria. Those criteria included for discussion were proof of insurance, background check, first aid/CPR training, and boating safety training. No decision was made on these options. However, the discussion was centered around the guide license for designated tailwater fisheries.

just a update. i am emailing again lol.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:59 PM

Ahh yes more big government and taxation. Nothing like liberals, think that taxing and stealing more money from folks will make everything okay.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:57 PM

Well.... This is simply another TAX!

I moved to TN as Maine had become notorious for their creative use of new taxation methods... They call them "revenue streams"; seems our rivers here are now looked upon by TWRA as revenue streams. The perception that fly fishermen have more disposable income among government employees is ridiculous or that a "lucrative" & thriving industry such as guiding needs to be punished with regulations and fees is shameful!

I wonder what it costs TWRA to stock walleyes, crappie and STRIPPED BASS or Hybrids? Hmmmm?

Seems to me that anyone who can purchase a $35,000 bass boat ought to be "taxed" or Fee'd for chasing other stocked fish.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
Well.... This is simply another TAX!

I moved to TN as Maine had become notorious for their creative use of new taxation methods... They call them "revenue streams"; seems our rivers here are now looked upon by TWRA as revenue streams. The perception that fly fishermen have more disposable income among government employees is ridiculous or that a "lucrative" & thriving industry such as guiding needs to be punished with regulations and fees is shameful!

I wonder what it costs TWRA to stock walleyes, crappie and STRIPPED BASS or Hybrids? Hmmmm?

Seems to me that anyone who can purchase a $35,000 bass boat ought to be "taxed" or Fee'd for chasing other stocked fish.
its funny i am against new taxes for the most part and this is a tax just dressed different. lol

like i said if they are trying to make a guide licence then it needs to be state wide and cover ALL guides. not just tail water guides. and that guide licence should cover the fishing licence for his customers.

and you have a very vaild point they don't charge us to fish for those other stocked fish soo why charge us to fish for trout they stock? gotta stick it to us when they see a chance i guess.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:24 PM

Great points fellas, how about he wasted money on the stupid brook trout in the Clinch? How about the wasted money on stocking the Big Pigeon? How about the wasted money on the absurd Elk Project? How about all the new trucks TWRA folks are driving?

I could go on and on for pages, but the buffoons at TWRA really have no clue about anything other then riding around and asking some one for a license. And they can even enforce that.

Which brings up another point, they can't enforce the rules we have now, how in the **** are the going to enforce this stupid tax? So I am guiding on the Clinch, a game warden asks me if I am a guide. I say no, he goes home. End of story, this idea is laughable and I feel like I am being kind.

How can he prove I am guiding if he sees no money changing hands? Even if I have a guide decal on my boat, or am a guide can I not fish with buddies without being taxed to oblivion?

They ought to call it the stupid tax (license), because the folks who support it, came up with it, and most importantly get duped into buying it are idiots. It is unenforceable, and they don't have enough man power to enforce current laws, so how can they enforce this?
Old 09-19-2011, 06:48 AM

How can they enforce this new law/tax/fee?

Really simple..... with new "revenue"... "they" (commonly known as unionized government labor) can hire MORE help! OR they can get MORE overtime pay.

Really now; government needs to go on a diet.... I'm tired of the theory that MORE control, more government power and MORE government employees improves anything at all.

IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT!
Old 09-19-2011, 08:08 AM

I had a discussion with a couple of my TWRA friends yesterday & after the discussion i can't support it, it does need to apply to all guides & not just tailwater guides.
I do like the FANTASY world that some of you guys are living in though, taxes don't run TWRA, license sells, a few dollars off violation ticket's & some Federal funding, thank goodness the Goverment hasn't gotten ahold of control over TWRA, we wouldn't have squat after they wasted the money.
I would support a guide license on all levels, as i posted earlier, i can't guide in other states w/o purchasing one.
Enforcing it would be a nightmare, the officers asked yesterday how they could tell if i were guiding or not, i told them they'd know i wasn't guiding if i were in the front or back of the drifter instead of in the middle.
Has TWRA made some mistakes, sure, just like you or me, it happens.

Grumpy
Old 09-19-2011, 09:28 AM

Glad you came around Grumpy. What's being proposed is wrong period. I'm a huge fan of the Job TWRA does both in the field and the streams. There are programs that I don't support as I am sure there are programs I love that other sportsmen don't support. It all evens out.

As for the Hatcheries closing I've mentioned many times before that we should start a non profit "Friends Of" club that can put on charity events and collect donations for the local hatcheries. I know this has been done in Arkansas and has been very successful there. I'd be more then happy host this on my site, and to donate money to the Hatcheries, as would a whole lot of the people who frequent my site. I think it could potentially drive more revenue <<DIRECTLY>>> to the Hatcheries then a guide stamp and there would be no way for the money to be used for anything other then the hatcheries.

Just something to think about...
Mike