Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 09-21-2011, 10:14 AM

Default Regulations

Refer to my post of 9/21/2011, 8:47 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:24 AM

It seems to me everyone is pretty much on the same page here. If guides are to be licensed it should be for safety or to protect a potential client. That's not what this is about. This is about fund raising. Technically speaking the Coast Guard requires anyone who guides on a navigable waterway (as defined by the Coast Guard) to have a six pack license which is one step below the Captains license. Those regs have never been enforced, although there was some talk about it years ago. Btw..all our major tailwaters (not sure about the Hiwassee) are defined as navigable rivers even though you may not be able to float a large stick down them when the water is off. Doesn't matter, it's on the books. This has zero to do with the TWRA. I've never actually seen the Coast Guard on the Clinch, but I don't see TWRA much either.
I've hired a good number of guides, I couldn't care less if they were licensed or not. I hired them because they came recommended and were known to be good at what they do. Possessing a "guide license" doesn't mean a thing except you payed your money.
If and when all this comes to pass honest guides will do the right thing, the others won't, just like any regulation. I just hope the people who are pushing this abide by the same ethics.
Btw.. my truck is 17 years old and $11.32 is nothing to sneeze at!
Old 09-21-2011, 10:48 AM

To all, do a search for different states, Florida and Montana to start, to see what I was talking about in a previous post.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:50 PM

With all due respect TN isn't Florida or Montana. For the most part we have artificial Trout water and no ocean to fish. This isn't exactly a fishing destination state....

Also, this isn't across the board licensing for all guides. In other words I have pay a fee and abide by all the regulations while somebody who doesn't guide on a tailrace doesn't. I fail to see any logic or even legality in that. If passed I expect it would go to court...

Last edited by Mike_Anderson; 09-21-2011 at 02:14 PM..
Old 09-21-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Anderson View Post
With all due respect TN isn't Florida or Montana. For the most part we have artificial Trout water and no ocean to fish. This isn't exactly a fishing destination state....

Also, this isn't across the board licensing for all guides. In other words I have pay a fee and abide by all the regulations while somebody who doesn't guide on a tailrace doesn't. I fail to see any logic or even legality in that. If passed I expect it would go to court...

Mike appreciate your input, I have been on the phone today with TWRA, and they are completely clueless about what they are doing. I don't know where they are getting their information, but it is so unbelievable that it is laughable there basis for this decision.

I like you could give a rip what they do in other states. They probably do lots of things we wouldn't do here in TN, and vice versa.

This whole thing is a giant scam forced by TWRA, and politicians. That is the bottom line. The new word is that the fee will be $1,500 for residents, and $2,500 for non residents. Plus a week long course which will be mandatory and done by TWRA, a coast guard captains license, cpr training, and emergency first aid training. Extra costs will come with the latter requirements naturally.

This is the worst example of a giant govt heavy hand we have had in this state, and to do it on this industry is really scary.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
The new word is that the fee will be $1,500 for residents, and $2,500 for non residents. Plus a week long course which will be mandatory and done by TWRA, a coast guard captains license, cpr training, and emergency first aid training. Extra costs will come with the latter requirements naturally.
For lack of a better word.....Holy Smokes!

The week long course, sounds hokey, and I'm sure it would cover everything except the actual skills and situations associated with a float guide. Maybe if they wrap up the day long cpr refresher and the first aid into a day or two.....they might be able to justify a couple day class of some kind.

The whole Captains License with a driftboat thing still puzzles me. I would feel bad for all the real deals out there that would now be forced to go through that ordeal, which again has no real bearing on freshwater fishing for trout. Not to mention pretty expensive in itself. After I finished my Coast Guard Licensing...I was more qualified to work on an oil tanker maybe, but not a tailwater fishing vessel. I suppose I can understand for those guides who work the main river systems such as the Tennessee. Which has regular commercial barging operations going on every day, in which they must work around each other.

Whew.....$1500? Perhaps their looking into patrolling the rivers by choppers or something? I wonder if we can make payments? Thats essentially an additional 8 - 10 trips (after the actual expenses of the trip) you'd have to run each year before you got back above the surface. On my best years, I've done slightly over 200 trips. Worse years closer to 100. Usually somewhere in the middle.......either way, an extra $1500 expense would be hard to handle to say the least.

I was thinking something reasonable would be $100 - $200 for resident and $400 - $500 for non resident, and proof of insurance, cpr/first aid certs....and your good to go. Then let the economy finish us off on it's on.

There's parts of this thing that I'd not feel bad about supporting, but the other issues in it are horrible enough to make it all sound bad.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:16 PM

You've got to be ****ting me Jim!!!!!! Must be a part of the new Obama work force plan.

I guess we all could row for donations, wonder if you could get away with that?
Old 09-21-2011, 03:57 PM

My level of anger is reaching a dangerous level.

This bunch of bafoons at TWRA is really something else. It starts with the idiots in the coldwater fisheries division that probably don't even know what a trout is.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:24 PM

Default Comments on regulations and guide license

It's me again, Margaret! Here your chance to tell them what you think.

http://news.tn.gov/node/7808
Old 09-21-2011, 06:28 PM

Default Omfg

ok i think i have come to a descison if they screw over just trout fishing guides i will no longer buy a trout stamp and stop trout fishing. i hatre it cause even though i am not a flyfisherman i do enjoy catching them. oh well i guess we will see.