Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 09-20-2011, 11:37 AM

Default Lower Clinch (Still) Fishing Tough

I fished the church for a few hours this morning. Apparently the stripers that folks have been talking about ate all of the fish over 4" because that's all I caught! Anyway it was a nice morning to be out, especially considering I was expecting rain. That stretch of river certainly looks "fishy" and always draws me back despite my continued lack of success there.

Fish were caught on a size 16 BHPT and a size 18 zebra midge.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:17 PM

Cincivol, I fished Monday morning and it was tough also. After lunch activity picked up a little,but not much. I've never really seen it like the last few days. River probley going trough a funk. I did manage one good fish about 16'' in the slow water in front of the church. I walked the bank down river and saw only a few rises and they were not consistant. Usually would see rises as far as you could see, NOT MONDAY. It'll change, it always does.
Lynn
Old 09-20-2011, 04:29 PM

River is in a funk. Fish are there, but mean spirited.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:00 AM

I know theres tons of fish,they just had lock-jaw. Blame it on the barometric pressure,stripers,funk,witches , magic , whatever.
As far as I'm concerned the catching sucked. I guess it just makes up for those days when your letting a fly dangle in the water below you and you catch a fish. It'll all average out @ the end the year.
Lynn
Old 09-21-2011, 10:26 AM

I appreciate the moral support guys. All I every seem to need to get excited about fishing is the old "they're there and will be biting tomorrow" encouragement.

It may be my lack of hawkeyed vision that good flyfishers have (or my loud feet) but I rarely seem to see trout while I am wading the Clinch. particularly at the Church. I just drift my fly over "fishy" looking spots and hope for the best. When I go to the South Holston I see trout everywhere (usually making a bee line away from my aforemenetioned loud feet).
Old 09-21-2011, 11:19 AM

Cincivol soft wading, good glasses and the sun at your back will help your vision. I was looking at some old pics of me and some friends in the smokys with bigger fish,when we noticed in most of those pics we didn't have on waders and our pants were dry.Those big fish are more likely to spook at crushing gravel or broken sticks on the stream bed.Now I know you pretty much have to wade the Clinch, but a cautious approach will get you into larger fish. My waders start leaking on my knees before any where else. That's what gets worn out first.
Lynn