Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-16-2011, 12:37 PM

Default 1st Annual Smokies Camp-N-Fish

Guys (and gals) this is just a short post to invite you ( or warn you depending on your take on it LOL ) to our little camping/fishing trip in the GSMNP in October. A small group of fly fishing fanatics will be gathering in Smokemont to chase some fish and tell a few fishing tales around the fire. Unlike alot of "group trips" this one is open to bringing your family - although don't feel like you need a crowd - or that you have to be a fly fisher. The group already signed up is also "firearms friendly" too, so if you're curious about guns or concealed/open carry there will be plenty of folks there who can answer questions about that, too. As for the fishing styles of those already committed: There will be everything from spinning rods to tenkara rods there...and you guys from LRO's forum are absolutely invited to join us. We would like to extend a special invitation to anyone that's not familiar with the Park or wild trout fishing. We're not experts, but we can help you out with what we do know - and we'd be happy to pair you up with more experienced anglers.

Everything is "BYO" for this one, even campsite spaces - which might fill up fast if the dates coincide with the leaves turning - although I hear they're already turning up Townsend way, so maybe the leaf peepers will be about finished "peeping" by the time this one rolls around.

If you want more info it's here: http://www.owljones.com/2011/08/30/o...youre-invited/

Have a great weekend and feel free to email me or reply to this thread if you have questions, etc. Hope to see ya there!

~owl
Old 09-16-2011, 12:47 PM

Will be out fishing somewhere that weekend but haven't decided for sure where. If I'm over that way will try to stop by and say hello...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 09-16-2011, 05:22 PM

I couldn't get the link to work?

This sounds pretty cool! Will you guys have extra camping gear and guns?

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 09-18-2011, 08:25 AM

Owl, sounds like fun and I'd love to meet some of you folks.....I'll do my best to be there....
Oct. 14-16 Right ??...................I'll make reservations after I get a cofirm on the dates

...Thanks bob
Old 09-20-2011, 04:12 PM

Right. October 14th - 16th but there are no "planned" activities so come & go as you like.

Extra guns? Not hardly. Certain laws (and common sense) prohibit us from giving guns to people we don't know. LOL Also, since the majority of the general public have a tendency to over-react, it's doubtful there will be any show and tell either. Were we on private land, I'm sure everyone there would be willing to let you try out their particular brand of firearm.
Extra camping gear? I don't have any that isn't already loaned out for this one. sorry. Maybe someone else might? You can ask on the thread at the above link if you like.

The link works fine for me. The info is:

Smokemont
Oct. 14th-16th
Sat night potluck
other food/drink is BYOwn
all fishermen/women welcome and wives, kids, families too.

I know for sure there will be two wives there and at least 6 kids.

We're a friendly bunch, despite what you may have heard. LOL The wife and I will be in B 001 - the first site as you come into the campground. It should be alot of fun.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:27 PM

Owl, I'll get some reservations made. Probably won't need them since Smokemont is not as busy as Elkmont.
Looking forward to a get together............Bob
Old 09-21-2011, 11:24 PM

Alrighty FNFB. It's not nearly as busy, and I doubt it will fill up even if the leaves are just right, but just to be on the safe side we encouraged everyone to go ahead and get some res. now. I'm sure some of us ...cough...cough...owl...cough...will be heading over to the Nantahala one day, too to check out this fall's crop of sky-diver trout.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouseMan77 View Post
I couldn't get the link to work?

This sounds pretty cool! Will you guys have extra camping gear and guns?
This guy sounds sarcastic. I bet he didn't even try to click on the link.

P.S. Don't shoot your eye out.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 09-23-2011, 02:09 AM

I thought it sounded sarcastic too, but you never know. There are folks out there who wouldn't know a .40 from a .22 so I gave him the benefit of the doubt. I guess I should say though, if you want to see what kind of "scary people" carry in your National Park, stop by and meet us. I think we've got the first two or three campsites booked up now.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:21 AM

Owl, I've got reservations @ D26 for the weekend. Looking forward to the get-together...Bob