Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 09-19-2011, 07:30 PM

Default Streamers...... ?

So I've got a newbie question for you guys, how effective are streamers when there is no generation? I'm under the assumption that the big guys feed better with 1 or 2 gens. on, but was wondering if it's worth the effort without the flow.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:21 PM

It can be ok. All depends on when, where and how. IMHO

It all starts with a good presentation really. Whether your talking low water or high water. For those willing to really work some streamers for solid periods of time, some big fish can be found on high or low water.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyraccoon View Post
It can be ok. All depends on when, where and how. IMHO

It all starts with a good presentation really. Whether your talking low water or high water. For those willing to really work some streamers for solid periods of time, some big fish can be found on high or low water.
I agree with Rocky... in that streamers can really reward you with larger fish if you are persistent. You should focus on presenting the streamer correctly. Vary your retrieve rates and patterns. Allow the streamer to drift a bit before retrieving. The landing area of your streamer is most likely spooked; I find that it helps to let the streamer drift down in to your target zone before I try to represent it. This is a weak area for me. I rarely throw streamers; but, I have been working on it lately. I feel that they are key to landing larger fish consistently. Plus, they are super easy to tie. One other thing; I usually just tie a 5-8' piece of 4# flourocarbon to the end of my fly line when throwing streamers.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 09-20-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
One other thing; I usually just tie a 5-8' piece of 4# flourocarbon to the end of my fly line when throwing streamers.
You are a brave man!!! I would not want some of the monsters I've had on the end of my line with just 4#... I rarely fish anything lighter than 12 lb on the tailwaters and rarely less than 8 lb. test in the Smokies for big flies...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 09-20-2011, 02:54 PM

David, I will give the larger test line a try next time. I really have not had any issues with the 4# test line breaking or anything. It is the same weight I have fished with spinning gear and my brother uses it as well. I am fairly inexperienced with streamer fishing. I consider some larger weight lines in the future to see how they hold up.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:02 AM

Thanks for the replies, every bit of info helps.

David, your reply backs up everything that I have read about streamer setups.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:57 AM

Shawn -- you ARE a brave soul using 4# for streamer fishing! I normally use a 4-5 ft piece of 12# flu. I have used as high as 20#, and the heavier leader still produces strikes.

Phil
Old 09-21-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psnapp View Post
Shawn -- you ARE a brave soul using 4# for streamer fishing! I normally use a 4-5 ft piece of 12# flu. I have used as high as 20#, and the heavier leader still produces strikes.

Phil
I am glad I posted my set up. I will try your advice Phil and see how it does for me. Thanks for the input guys. Maybe this will help me land a few of those big boys.