Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 09-11-2011, 07:44 AM

Default Tailwater Stamp

Hey,

Read a thread on another SE forum discussing the possibility of TWRA implementing a "tailwater stamp" as a means of generating more revenue and to supposedly lighten the pressure on the most popular tailwater streams. I don't buy the idea that they would be trying to lessen the pressure on these waters with a new stamp, that would defeat any revenue gained by the monies from a Tailwater Stamp. No matter what, I think license fees will continue to rise as the economy continues to stagnate and the revenue base for state and federal wildlife commissions continues to dwindle.

Neal
Old 09-13-2011, 11:50 AM

if they do i am not sure i will trout fish much longer. we already pay for the privlage to try to catch the fish they stock.

now here is something me and a buddy was thinking about. there are trout in center hill,dale hollow and other lakes right? a trout stamp is not needed to fish these lakes right?

why are we paying to fish a river with trout? i mean trout are not the only fish in most if not all stocked tailwaters.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:01 PM

Does that additional money come with a dedicated game warden for that particular tailwater? If so, bring it. I will buy a stamp for each of the tailwaters I fish in if it means law enforcement. IF not, it's just more wasted tax dollars.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:02 PM

Default from twra site

The Fisheries Management Committee asked TWRA Fisheries Division personnel to recommend a proposed guide license, both resident and non-resident, along with any qualifications or restrictions that may be necessary. Also, the update will include a projected cost of managing the program and the projected revenue.

The recommendation made earlier was to consider a guide license for the following waters: The rivers immediately below Wilbur, Watauga, South Holston, Cherokee, Norris, Appalachian, Tim’s Ford, Dale Hollow and Normandy dams.

and

Guide License Proposal

The Tennessee Wildlife Resources Commission discussed the possibility of implementing a fishing guide license at the Aug. 25 Commission meeting in Kingsport. The Commission felt that a guide license is needed to assist in expenses at TWRA’s state fish hatcheries due to the likely reductions in trout production at federal fish hatcheries in Tennessee, Dale Hollow and Erwin National Fish Hatcheries.

A recommendation was made to consider a fishing guide license only for the following waters: the rivers immediately below Wilbur, Watauga, South Holston, Cherokee, Norris, Appalachian, Tim’s Ford, Center Hill, Dale Hollow, and Normandy dams. The Agency was asked to recommend a proposed cost for the guide license, both resident and nonresident; any qualifications or restrictions that may be necessary; the projected cost for managing the program; and the projected revenue generated from the program. These recommendations will be presented to the TWRC on Oct. 13 at the Commission meeting in Nashville.

you can email your comments to them.

TWRA.Comment@tn.gov. Please include “Sport Fish Comments” or “Fishing Guide License Comments” on the subject line of emailed submissions.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Fly n View Post
Does that additional money come with a dedicated game warden for that particular tailwater? If so, bring it. I will buy a stamp for each of the tailwaters I fish in if it means law enforcement. IF not, it's just more wasted tax dollars.
a warden 24/7? yea right. while we are hopeing/dreaming lets get 3 or 4 of them.

not realy trying to be a SA just saying it won't happen.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by white95v6 View Post
The recommendation made earlier was to consider a guide license for the following waters: The rivers immediately below Wilbur, Watauga, South Holston, Cherokee, Norris, Appalachian, Tim’s Ford, Dale Hollow and Normandy dams.

you can email your comments to them.

TWRA.Comment@tn.gov. Please include “Sport Fish Comments” or “Fishing Guide License Comments” on the subject line of emailed submissions.
So..... basically all of the trout tailwaters in the area. I am assuming this is only a license for the guide himself and not his client. The client would still be responsible for a fishing license and trout stamp whether they be from TN or Out of State.

I have only floated the Watauga once, but have waded it a few times. If there was one tailwater on the list that I would support having a guide license fee on, that would be it. It is a zoo up there on weekends, and midweek isn't much better. Every Tom, Dick, and Harry with a driftboat is out there trying to make a buck. This results in some major congestion and even the occasional heated encounter when one person sits on a honey hole and blocks everybody from passing.

Not to mention the overwhelming majority of the vehicles (guided an not) on both the Watauga and South Holston are from out of state.

However, I don't necessarily agree with another license or fee. Why aren't they charging a bass tournament fee on the area's large lakes? Last time I checked North Carolina had a lower out-of-state trout license that ran 1-yr from date of purchase, with a lot more quality trout streams (including excellent DH waters). If we get too greedy, the OoS fisherman I referenced above on the Watauga and South Holston may just take their fishing trips and money to a neighboring state. What good does that do us?

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler

Last edited by ChemEAngler; 09-13-2011 at 10:15 PM.. Reason: Thought about a little more
Old 09-13-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by white95v6 View Post
a warden 24/7? yea right. while we are hopeing/dreaming lets get 3 or 4 of them.

not realy trying to be a SA just saying it won't happen.
you're right....they won't do the right thing...just waste more of our money. they will take that money and supply trout to be stocked in cement ponds for special occations as they have done at the Worlds Fair park here in the past. Trout you and I paid for, and wasted to promote TWRA.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:36 PM

Flat Fly N' can vouch for my disapproval of this idea. I think he read my pointed and direct objections to this latest idiotic idea by the buffoons at TWRA.

I will just say this and be as clear as possible. "I vehemently disagree with any new license or fees levied on guides or catch and release anglers. "

I think the bait slingers should have to pay double, to pay for the damage they do to the resource daily, and the removal of their trash which they can't seem to pick up on their own. Not to mention the cigarette butts and inane chatter between them on the river.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:09 AM

Correct me if i'm wrong, if i decide to guide in a neighboring state, i'm required to have a guide license, i believe this is what's stimulating the the new proposed fee, in that case i'm all for it, bunch of out of state guides are making some good bucks in our state.

Grumpy
Old 09-15-2011, 08:42 PM

This has to be the most unfair crock of horse you know what I've ever heard of. Trout Guides bring in more revenue to TWRA via trout stamp AND license purchases by their clients, usually two at a time, then ANY other type of guide. So what do they want to do?? Punish them with another fee.

This is a political push from some people who want the rivers and profits only for themselves. It's greedy and it's wrong. Across the board licenses for all guides or nothing at all. Nothing at all has been working very well for a very long time.