Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

View Poll Results: TN Tailwater Guide License?
Against 27 62.79%
For 16 37.21%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
4. Charge $33.00 for a C&R Trout stamp, and $66 for a harvest trout stamp.
Sorry, but that is a ridiculous suggestion.

Tennessee already has THE highest resident license fees in the nation, and our fishing is no better than most other places. If the manament at TWRA is to stupid to be able to do a better, more efficient job, then they should be replaced with someone that can.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTodd View Post

Tennessee already has THE highest resident license fees in the nation, and our fishing is no better than most other places. If the manament at TWRA is to stupid to be able to do a better, more efficient job, then they should be replaced with someone that can.
You have to remember that all those other great fishing locations have wild trout whereas most of our tailwaters contain anywhere from mostly to completely stocked trout...

While I hate to see any license fees go up, I do agree that someone does have to pay for all those stocked trout. It makes sense to ask those that keep their catch to pay more in my opinion. If I kept a limit every time I fished the Caney Fork, over the course of a year I would keep on average $735 worth of fish using the statistic that it costs on average $7 a fish to raise in a hatchery. Now, thats a lot of money and only assuming I visit the river 15 times. What if I live right by the river and keep a limit 30 times a year? We are now looking at well over $1000 worth of trout...unfortunately, since our tailwaters are not managed for wild trout (for the most part), someone has to pay for those fish...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 10-02-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wright View Post
Jim , You are right, I did confuse my motivation w/ irrelevent BS . This was to be a straight-up vote ..no BS.
Probably should not have put my tongue -in-cheek ( select few being grandfathered).

However, IMO the keyboard fuels your ego & attitude . My motivattion was from your commenting on my post. So I'm going to make it clear: I can not believe someone hasn't whipped your *** before now. I'll also make it clear I have heard from others comments made by you about me. I think you are a PUNK .
Geez, I don't think I have ever said one cross word about you, ever. If someone is saying other wise, then they are not being truthful.

I have no bone to pick with you, why would I? You and I never hardly cross paths and when we do we have always seemed to have a very amiable positive conversation. If there is an issue it is one created by you based on something unknown to me and your problem with me as a person.

You need to take a few deep breaths, you have worked yourself into a frenzy for no apparent reason other then I disagree with you on this new tax. Best I can recall I have never slighted you on the river, and always gave you plenty of space whenever I have floated past you over the years. ****, I even spoke to you which is more then I do for 90% of the folks on the river.

And BTW if you want to speak with me call me 207 1021
Old 10-02-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:

Our licenses are highish, but despite my distaste for TWRA, they do provide an unbelievable amount for us as license holders. I seriously doubt there are many states that have the diversity of fish/game that we do, that have lower license fees. I do not have facts to back that up, so I may be wrong. TWRA controls, owns, and manages more acreage then a person can hunt in a lifetime. That costs serious $$$. They are also trying to fund roughly 8 tailwaters for trout stocking, and countless seasonal fisheries. That costs real money, which I understand.

TWRA could be a very good organization, and I shudder to think what the alternatives might be. They just need to be audited by an outside consultant to find wasteful spending, cut that, and rethink their management goals IMO.

Politics are and have been mixing too much with our game management for too long. Until that stops the problem is just going to continue spiraling out of control.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knapp View Post
... using the statistic that it costs on average $7 a fish to raise in a hatchery. ..
According to the TWRA the fish cost $3 each, but, I understand what you are trying to say. However, many if not most of the other states are also using stocked trout to some extent. As you are probably aware, rainbow and brown trout are not even native to North America, much less Tennessee. What you may not know is that there are many folks within the TWRA who don't even think we should be stocking non-indigenous species like as rainbow and browns period.

This tailwater trout guide license ay very well be a way to fragment the fishing community to decrease the number of trout fishermen as a step in phasing out trout fishing for non-natives in the state all together.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:

This tailwater trout guide license may very well be a way to fragment the fishing community to decrease the number of trout fishermen as a step in phasing out trout fishing for non-natives in the state all together.
If this is truly their plan, it's piss poor, and isn't going to work. Aside from our differences on whether or not this should be implemented, in the end we all trout fish, and will continue to do so. Even if it puts a few guides out of buisness, which I doubt, those individuals will likely continue to fish.

I personally think it's a strategy by large guide outfits to limit competition and TWRA lines some pockets. I think this is also a piss poor plan that will not work, although it may slow slightly out-of-state guides, I just don't see legitimate guides quitting over the fee.

Remember......I'm and idiot
Old 10-02-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:

TWRA states the reasons for this proposal is to help fund the hatcheries. This new tax won't even hardly fund the light bill, so why implement it?

If funding is an issue here are some other suggestions:
1. Lower the creel limit on trout statewide to 2 fish from seven.
2. Stop stocking seasonal trout streams.
3. Stock more fingerlings which are less expensive to raise.
4. Charge $33.00 for a C&R Trout stamp, and $66 for a harvest trout stamp.
5. Seek contributions from voluntary donors (I would contribute).
6. Enforce the current regulations.

However this isn't about funding for the hatcheries IMO, this is about trying to limit out of state guides and/or guides in general. Which if that is their goal then state that, but don't hide behind a false objective. If it is about guides then I am against it, adamantly.
I agree with all of the above, and think all should be implemented. Although I'm still not against the guide fee. I understand your points about making ends meet. I just don't think it's as big as we've blown it up to be in this thread.

Remember......I'm and idiot
Old 10-02-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumber_Jack View Post
I agree with all of the above, and think all should be implemented. Although I'm still not against the guide fee. I understand your points about making ends meet. I just don't think it's as big as we've blown it up to be in this thread.
You are probably right, but when I was guiding 1000 bucks a year would have hurt me. Granted I would have found a way. Easy enough to past the costs onto what we charged.

Twra realizes how valuable our trout streams are and will keep them around forever imo.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Twra realizes how valuable our trout streams are and will keep them around forever imo.
I have many friends that work for the TWRA that I went to TTU with. I deal with the TWRA and the TWRC at the very minimum of once per month and I can guarantee you that there are many, MANY people within the TWRA who think stocking a non-native species is wrong and should be done away with. They have told me so personally.

I know a couple of the TWRA guys who think this, are reading this thread. I bet not one has the balls to step forward and say their opinion out loud in a public forum though.....
Old 10-02-2011, 02:11 PM

Here is the information I referred to in my post of 9/30/11:

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/fish/Str...0Fisheries.pdf