Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 10-03-2011, 03:53 PM

Default Holston (Below Cherokee) Report?

I have some free time tomorrow morning and I have the itch to fish. It looks like the Clinch will be blown out for wading. Has anyone fished the Holston below Cherokee Dam lately? If I hear anything promising I may try that. Otherwise it may be a morning in the GSNP spooking spooky trout!
Old 10-04-2011, 01:03 PM

I answered my own question regarding the Holston with a brief trip to the river this morning. I do not have a thermometer but I could feel that the water was quite warm. Cherokee must be turning over or something. I fished a riffle for about an hour and, while there were some caddis of various sizes hatching, there was very little trout action. I got no bites.

However, it was a nice morning to be on the water and watching huge flocks of swallows crashing bugs up and down the river was worth the price of admission alone. That and I foul hooked a 24"+ buffalo that tore my drag like an Atlantic Salmon until it finally snapped my 5x tippet (at the surgeon's knot, not the Pitzen knot...).
Old 10-04-2011, 01:10 PM

Default fishing the Holston

I often wonder about the holston, I have fished below the dam couple times a year. I have a spot that is perfect for buggers. I also fished near the big barn subdivision with very small cadis. Other than that, not so much. I would like to learn more about it. Do you know much about the water above Nancy's ferry.

Oh and yea, I break off at the surgeon's knot more often than I care to admit.

c.v.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:00 PM

Not the time to fish the Holston IMO, water is usually way too warm through November. Might find another place to go, and probably will have better action.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:42 AM

C.V.

I try to fish the Holston several times in April-June for the caddis hatch. I only hook up once every 10 bites or so but dry fly fishing is just so fun it is still worth it.

The water above Nance's Ferry seems to fish well in the winter and there are several shoals/riffles that you can wade/hike to upriver from the parking lot. By about June it seems to get a mix of trout and bass as the water warms up. Use a streamer and you will end up catching some of both. Later in the summer it is a good spot for smallmouth and carp fishing. Others on this board have a lot more experience on the Holston than I do but I have generally only caught stockers down river while there are some (large) holdovers further up river.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:02 AM

Thanks CinciVol
I am hearing similar reports about winter fishing on the Holston and Clinch. I suspect it is water temp and dispersed oxygen levels that increase trout activity.
When you say 'winter' do you mean December, January, February? I fish up north and look for b.w.o.s and black flies beginning January.
c.v.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:33 PM

Yes, I mean December thru February as winter. I haven't seen BWO hatches on the Holston so I usually just stick with midge patterns or maybe the old reliable BHPT in fast water.

Let me know if you head that way in a few months. It is a fun river.

Dave aka CV