Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 10-10-2011, 10:24 AM

Talking 3 Fish at 3 Forks

The weekend before last I went with a group of friends to 3 Forks. The weather turned very cold as a cold front pushed through and pretty much turned off the fishing. While I had originally intended to get there much earlier in the day, it took more time to get there, and I only got to fish for 20 minutes until the cold front started to push through. I did get to catch a fish in Left Fork, which was on my years “to do” list which was about the only positive thing I could say fishing wise. I fished a little bit later and couldn’t even get a bite. As it was expected to be much colder that next night, and my other buddy did not feel comfortable hiking out by himself he decided to stay another night and hike out with my buddy Sean, while I would hike out downstream with my other buddy Kirk the next morning. Had an awesome hike out that next morning and made it from 3 Forks downstream to the car at Hyatt Ridge in 3.5 hours, which had to be a near record time considering we were still able to take in much of the beauty this magical place has to offer. My buddies didn't have much luck the next day.

It was also a pleasure to meet NDuncan and Jay B's group out there. Great to meet more LRO fourm members on the water. I have had the pleasure of being on the water with Mac, Colby, StanaClaus, Crockett, Jay B, NDuncan, Grampus and FcFly recently and have enjoyed myself with all of them

Way too many pics:
http://www.duckypaddler.com/3-forks.html

Old 10-10-2011, 10:58 AM

Good fishing, good fellowhsip with friends! Doesn't get any better.

Where is Three Forks? (Between Two Fork and Four Forks? Couldn't resist that!)
Old 10-10-2011, 02:24 PM

Did you and kirk find that white nalgene water bottle on the hike out? (in the last picture). I ask because I lost one just like it on the hike up from 47. Probably a long shot because I know it is a super generic looking bottle so it is probably just a coincidence. How steep was the route you guys took out?
Old 10-10-2011, 07:49 PM

That sure is a beautiful part of the park. I'm looking forward to going back next fall.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDuncan View Post
Did you and kirk find that white nalgene water bottle on the hike out? (in the last picture). I ask because I lost one just like it on the hike up from 47. Probably a long shot because I know it is a super generic looking bottle so it is probably just a coincidence. How steep was the route you guys took out?
Yes that was hanging on a branch by a big rock, and yes we did hike it out. I also found a Black Diamond pole bottom half that we hiked out as well. It looked like maybe you filtered, then hung it there, and maybe forgot it.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:45 AM

HA! I wish I could have seen that. No it was it in the top side pocket, which is open at the top for easy water bottle retrieval, so I think it got snagged and pulled out of my pack and I didn't realize until much later. I don't know about the trekking pole, I don't think that came from us.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:30 AM

Nah, that wasn't our poles. If someone finds a red or green coleman trekking pole down in Cherokee though, its probably one of ours!
Old 10-11-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDuncan View Post
HA! I wish I could have seen that. No it was it in the top side pocket, which is open at the top for easy water bottle retrieval, so I think it got snagged and pulled out of my pack and I didn't realize until much later. I don't know about the trekking pole, I don't think that came from us.
I guess you got snagged then. It sure looked like it was hung there on purpose though. I will let Kirk know it's your and try & get it back to you