Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Rod Building

Old 07-05-2010, 12:23 PM

Default Tiger Eye Blanks

Hello,

Does anyone have experience with building and fishing the "Tiger Eye" blanks made an sold by Sevier Manufacturing? I am interested in building a multi pc. pack rod 7 1/2 to 8' long, 3/4 weight for fishing headwater streams in the Smokies and other mountain streams. I am curious about the action of these blanks. Site says they are medium-fast in action. I like a softer action for fishing mountain streams, will be primarly fishing dries or small nymphs. Stiffer actions just don't suit my style for this type of fishing.

I would appreciate any input that you're willing to provide.

Thanks,

Neal
Old 07-05-2010, 05:36 PM

I picked up a rod for my son made on a Tiger Eye blank. He really likes it.

His is an 8'6" (either that or a 9' can't remember) 4/5 weight. This particular blank is a very nice medium action rod (not too fast, not too slow). The blank color is a very attractive root bear color (it has maroon wraps with silver accents).

It is a really nice casting and attractive rod.

I know it's not the specific blank you're looking at but at least it'll give some insight to the one we have.

I'm happy with it and would gladly buy another.

Jeff
Old 07-05-2010, 05:53 PM

Jeff,

Thanks for the input on the action of the rod, really huge for me. Than can be a lot of difference in moderate-fast graded rods IMO. I don't care for noodle rods, a little backbone is nice, but faster (stiffer) action rods don't feel or work for me on the mountain steams. I'll probably buy one or two 4 pc blanks and build them during the winter to keep the cabin fever at bay

Neal
Old 07-05-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineman19 View Post
Jeff,

Thanks for the input on the action of the rod, really huge for me. Than can be a lot of difference in moderate-fast graded rods IMO. I don't care for noodle rods, a little backbone is nice, but faster (stiffer) action rods don't feel or work for me on the mountain steams. I'll probably buy one or two 4 pc blanks and build them during the winter to keep the cabin fever at bay

Neal
Pineman,
I have a Winston BIIt and 2 Scott G2 rods. If you're familiar with their actions I will try to compare it to them.

Out at the tip, the Tiger Eye is similar to the Winston but the Winston is a little stiffer from about 2/3 way back to the butt. I would say the Winston has a little more backbone but the last 2/3 of the actions are pretty similar (the Tiger Eye may be just a bit softer)

When compared to the Scott G2, I think it's a little softer all the way through than the Scott, but not by much. The Scott rods I have (a 9' 5wt and an 8'4" 3wt) are what I would call medium fast and a little more "crisp".

Pineman, it's hard for me to find the right words to describe a fly rod action. I'm not like these guys in the magazines that can say "smooth like the touch of silk upon the delicate edge of a bar of solid milk chocolate" or some such nonsense.

I guess what I would say is the Tiger Eye balnk my son has compares favorably to the other rods I have of similar size and fly line weight and it sure is a pretty rod.

I have a Cabela's Traditional I rod in 8'6" 5wt and the Tiger Eye is similar but I would say the Cabela's rod is a little more "sloppy" (The cabela's rod "wiggles" a little more at the end of the cast where the Tiger Eye more just stops and "wiggles" very little).

Anyway, I know I'm no creative writer able to create vivid images with words but I hope this has been helpful for you.

I did hear from a rod builder friend a month or so back that several of the 4 piece Tiger Eye blanks were on back order from the manufacturer. Not sure if that is still the case as it was about a month or so back when I was talking with him.

Jeff

Jeff
Old 07-06-2010, 08:55 AM

Jeff,

Thanks again for the input on the action of the Tiger Eye blanks. I have used the rods you mentioned, but I have read opinions about their actions and pros and cons of using them in different situations. I think I'll get a couple Tiger Eye blanks and build them over the winter. I'll let you know how it works out.

Neal
Old 07-08-2010, 03:04 PM

I have a 6 ft, 2 wt. I built for the Smokies and other small streams. Love it! Has the best action of all my fly rods and throws the tightest loops.

http://www.hiwasseecustomrods.com

Last edited by Knothead; 07-08-2010 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: add email address
Old 07-08-2010, 03:18 PM

Knothead,

Thanks for the input. The price for the blanks is very reasonable if it's a quality blank. I'll give them a shot. I haven't built a rod in a couple of years. Took a little break, was accumulating too many rods. My builds aren't perfect, but they are serviceable and look pretty decent. I really enjoy catching fish on a rod that I have built, plus it's nice to personalize them in different ways.

Neal
Old 07-08-2010, 03:38 PM

Default Tigereye rods and others

pineman19, you can never have too many rods!
Old 07-08-2010, 05:34 PM

Knothead,

Sooooo true. I sold some rods last year, kept the ones I have built, need to replenish my stock
Old 07-08-2010, 07:21 PM

i built a rod for a friend (Crockett on this forum) using a Tiger Eye blank (the 3/4 wt 8.5 ft one) and he seems to like it but doesn't fish it much. Afraid he'll scratch it I think.

I've got another identical blank that I need to build up sometime, that or sell.

--matt