Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 10-12-2011, 10:53 AM

Post Oct/Nov-Clinch Midge [Instructional]

I have noticed that the midges are coming off pretty consistent right now in the larger sizes ( 16-18 ). This pattern is primary designed to be tied as black; but, it works great in olive (sizes 18-20) as well.

You can use a dry fly hook to help maintain the smaller diameter if your nymph hooks are too thick.

Hope you enjoy...

to choose, to respond, to change.”

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 10-12-2011 at 06:58 PM..
Old 11-20-2011, 05:12 PM

Cool! Thanks
Old 11-20-2011, 07:55 PM

Mundele,
This is actually a buzzer pattern that I modified for my tying skills. You can see that it is easy to modify the color to suit the hatch. Also; I do not like to weight it. I like to Xink the tippet 6x preferably to allow it not to sink straight up in down; but to float in the upper 6-12" of the water. This will turn the lights on if you are throwing to a rise/feeding lie because it keeps it in the trouts snells window.

The flash gives it a great trigger/separation effect. Also; it is fun to use dry fly hooks because you can bend and accentuate their shapes without snapping the hook.

I hope this helps and please {all} share your patterns similar to this one or discuss tips and ideas. I welcome every opportunity to learn as well...

Blessings,
SM

Old 11-20-2011, 08:34 PM

Thanks MadisonBoats. I have learned a ton from your posts on here. I fished yesterday at Miller's Island and got skunked, while a guy near me caught a few. I think you said something about fish at popular spots getting more picky. My standard zebra midges didn't seem to work at all. I tried about all the flies in my box.

I am gonna tie up some of these for sure.

Question... What purpose does the marabou serve? Looks like you've cut it all off...

--Matt
Old 11-20-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundele View Post
Thanks MadisonBoats. I have learned a ton from your posts on here. I fished yesterday at Miller's Island and got skunked, while a guy near me caught a few. I think you said something about fish at popular spots getting more picky. My standard zebra midges didn't seem to work at all. I tried about all the flies in my box.

I am gonna tie up some of these for sure.

Question... What purpose does the marabou serve? Looks like you've cut it all off...

--Matt
Matt,
The key is to not focus on one fly; but to read the river! Also; you have to be aware of the area you are fishing. Do you fish a midge; streamer, dry, etc.? This is the question to ask yourself. Are you blind fishing or target fishing? Target fishing will give you the best results. Find a hole that fish are rising, active, or that looks good to you...Be stealthy and present flies to it with repetition to get a good feel for it. Change to your next fly based on what bug activity you are seeing around you and different(dry, emergent, wet, nymph, color, etc.) to what you have been presenting. Focus on a specific feeding lie and work on presenting the fly you think will hit best.

The best tip I could ever give someone is "think like a trout and how it sees your fly"; then give it what it wants.

Send me an email from my signature and we can exchange some ideas to help us out.