Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 10-13-2011, 09:49 PM

Default Tailwater Guide License Update

I was at the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Commission (TWRC) meeting today in Nashville and thought some of you might like an update on the proposal for a Tennessee Tailwater guide license.

Thanks to a great deal of feed back to the commissioners, the idea of a guide license that would only apply to those limited tailwaters, basically targeting trout guides, has been shelved. At least for the time being. The TWRA was asked to look into other options such a "fishing guide license" that would apply to all fishing guides. My gut feeling is that with all the other items on their plate at the moment, and the opposition to the tailwater guide license, it will be a while before this sees light again.

Thanks to those that shared their feedback with me pro and con on the issue....
Old 10-13-2011, 10:45 PM

I heard rumblings of this earlier in the week. Apparently it went over like a turd in a punch bowl statewide.

There was a very slim minority of people who wanted it, and their reasons as explained to TWRA showed they were after this tax to help their own selfish interests.

I am pleased that for a rare moment TWRA actually listened to the feedback and did what the majority wanted.

I guess the nancies whining about guides can crawl back into their hole for another year.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:29 AM

Thumbs up

waterwolf, thanks for the information.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:10 PM

Good glad to hear it, about time they start listening to the people! And those of you who were for it, nanna nanna boo boo!
Old 10-20-2011, 03:12 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
I heard rumblings of this earlier in the week. Apparently it went over like a turd in a punch bowl statewide.

There was a very slim minority of people who wanted it, and their reasons as explained to TWRA showed they were after this tax to help their own selfish interests.

I am pleased that for a rare moment TWRA actually listened to the feedback and did what the majority wanted.

I guess the nancies whining about guides can crawl back into their hole for another year.
Jim, Ironic you worked for Scott Rogers at the Creel and he was a strong advocate of licensing and certification of guides who worked in Tennessee. In 2004 when the proposal was initiated Scott was quoted as being "...all for it" ...."right now the resource is being plundered , especially by (guides from ) North Carolina.Something needs to be done,either by licensing or by limiting the number of boats that can be on the river at one time " Scott 'believed the cost of the license and any certification requirements should be high enough and tough enough to deter some would-be guides' .....thinking it would alleviate some of "the fly-by night 'heck yeah I'm a fishing guide 'types".
What were you saying back in those days ? The fee being considered at that time was $200 for instate guides & $600 for out -of-state guides.
I guess you were a nancie back then too ?
Old 10-21-2011, 06:28 AM

Scott Rogers lives in a cave now and I have even seen him fishing with minnows and small children on trout streams. Who cares what he had to say.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:27 AM

Lightbulb Opinion

Fellas,
I think there are many valid points on why not to have a guide license. Money/Cost seems to be the most prevalent one of note.

However; I do think there are some extremely valid points on why to have a guide license. It is essential that the sport members who care express their thoughts and opinions. Additionally; I think the end results should support the majority.

Some valid issues came out of this discussion and we should continue to address them in a way that will benefit the substinance of the species before we speak-off-the-cuff. After all; lawyers love people that speak/act with their emotions and not their logic.

I think this issue should continue to be discussed and if necessary; modified, evolve, and implemented in phased/transitional way to minimize any negative impact on those involved.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 10-21-2011, 08:23 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
Scott Rogers lives in a cave now and I have even seen him fishing with minnows and small children on trout streams. Who cares what he had to say.
Ha haaaaaaaa; Scott, much happier I'm sure .....nothing wrong w/ minnows & focusing on important things in life. We need to listen to such wise men .