Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-05-2010, 12:03 PM

Post Stoneflies: "little-greens" [6/5/10]

I noticed several of these stoneflies, the "little-greens" on the Clinch yesterday evening.

I have been throwing the nymph version with very effective results this year.

I tie it with: a gold bead on the 2/3 part of the shank with a pheasant tail, dub the abdomen with grey dubbing and wrap it loosely with orange stretch tubing to the bead. I wrap hackle ahead of the bead with more grey dubbing and then a head. Throw it ahead of a drift and the fish will eat it up Seems like the brookies like it the most for some odd reason...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 06-05-2010, 12:49 PM

Same family as the little yellow ones, different genus. Cool photo of the adults and their shucks
Old 06-05-2010, 02:01 PM

Sorry to mislead you guys; I borrowed that first photo from Troutnut.com. I was without a camera and searched for the closest picture I could find. I do have one of the green flies in my sample kits if I can get a camera this weekend.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:00 PM

That is interesting. In almost 25 years of fishing the Clinch I have never seen that stonefly on the river. For a long time it had the early little black stones, but I have not seen them recently, but that may be due to me not being on the river that time of year. Guess things have changed, and I just have missed them on the river.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
That is interesting. In almost 25 years of fishing the Clinch I have never seen that stonefly on the river. For a long time it had the early little black stones, but I have not seen them recently, but that may be due to me not being on the river that time of year. Guess things have changed, and I just have missed them on the river.
You probably would not have wanted to notice them if you use midges and bhpts all the time Nah, I have noticed several different types; especially around the small streams coming in to the Clinch. You just have to get out and poke around the shoals and rip up some of the moss. I have quite a few samples saved up; just need to get some glycerin before the colors bleach. I plan on getting a new camera this week-so; hopefully, I can start sharing some pics again...

Old 06-06-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
You probably would not have wanted to notice them if you use midges and bhpts all the time Nah, I have noticed several different types; especially around the small streams coming in to the Clinch. You just have to get out and poke around the shoals and rip up some of the moss. I have quite a few samples saved up; just need to get some glycerin before the colors bleach. I plan on getting a new camera this week-so; hopefully, I can start sharing some pics again...
Clear Creek would not surprise me, but the other two would. The water quality in both Cane and Coal is horrendous, and stoneflies require super clean water.

Just because I fish midges and other small nymphs doesn't mean I am not fully aware of what is going on around me. Stoneflies really aren't moss dwellers, they leave that more to mayflies, midges, and scuds. They generally prefer to wander around in the rocks and underneath them most of the time.

Looking forward to seeing pics of them on the Clinch.

Last edited by waterwolf; 06-07-2010 at 07:42 AM..
Old 06-19-2010, 04:26 PM

Default Confirming green stoneflies

Madison - wading behind Lewallen this a.m. in dense fog, friend spotted a big dry. He captured it and showed to me --- definitely a green stonefly like the Troutnut.com pic you posted, about size 12. Sure hope those bad boyz multiply quickly!

Phil
Old 06-19-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psnapp View Post
Madison - wading behind Lewallen this a.m. in dense fog, friend spotted a big dry. He captured it and showed to me --- definitely a green stonefly like the Troutnut.com pic you posted, about size 12. Sure hope those bad boyz multiply quickly!

Phil
They are there; I am just tired of trying to explain myself. I smoke the brook trout on my nymph stone fly pattern. One odd thing; 80% of the time brook trout hit it. Not sure why.... I gave one to Rodonthefly the other day; maybe he can add some light to it...?

Old 10-14-2011, 08:31 PM

I have been finding tons of these guys lately on the Clinch. Does anyone know what kind of bug it is...?
I also have been finding plenty of October Caddis....

Old 10-14-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
I have been finding tons of these guys lately on the Clinch. Does anyone know what kind of bug it is...?
I also have been finding plenty of October Caddis....
Looks like a lace wing. I do not think they are an aquatic insect. However, I could easily see them ending up on the river. They are pretty common this time of year, and will be around until the first hard freeze.

I have never seen one on the river, but that means nothing as my river days are usually over by the end of September.

Tags
pattern, tying