Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-29-2011, 12:41 PM

Default High Stickin'

I've tried this a few times without much success. I seem to do better with dry only because I get hung up less. I suspect that fishing slightly deeper runs is the key but I can find that out on my own if those in the know don't want to give away too much...but I have to ask; what is the best way to tell if a fish is on or taking? Do you watch the leader for movement? That's what I have done on the rare occasion I catch a fish with this method but I'm hoping to gain more insight into this. Also, is this method used elsewhere or is it indigenous to the smokies?
Old 10-29-2011, 03:17 PM

When I double nymph, I do not use an indicator. I watch the tip of the fly line where it meets the leader. If part of the fly line has sunk, I watch the part just coming out of the water. I watch very closely, the slightest movement, twitch, anything, I set the hook.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:14 PM

Ok, at least I'm doing that right. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:27 PM

Blueraider watch the line if it moves,hesitates or just does something weird set the hook. It's free.You can set as many times as you want won't cost you an extra dime. That's the best advise I got when I started fishing w/o an indicator. Walter showed me how to nymph. the leader is really important also. This is the one I use 15'' of .017, 15'' of .015, 15'' of .013,12'' of 0X, 12'' of 2X, 12'' of 3X leave a long tag with this to attach first nymph 8'' or so on tag, 26'' of 4X for the second fly. Add 1 or 2 BB shot between the flies. Use a tuck cast so the flies hit the water first before the flyline. Keep up with the drift with your rod tip control your slack. The leader formula is a Harvey Leader by Joe Humphrey's. Check out his videos their awesome.
Listen I'm off all this next week and I live in Maryville. I will be fishing the Park at least 3 or 4 times. If you want to hook up and fish that be OK with me . I can show you some stuff that I do and you can go from there.
Lynn
Old 10-30-2011, 12:19 AM

Ah thanks a lot...that really helps. I wish I could fish with ya, but I'm stuck in Nashville this weekend. I am going to try and get up one more time before it gets really cold. Let us know how ya do and thanks for the info. I'll check those vids out.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:49 AM

BRF...you can also use what is called a "butt indicator loop"...this is a 6 or 12 inch furled leader loop to loop section that is attached between you line and leadeder...usually a highly visible color that can act like an indicator or give you a visible point to watch while high sticking....
Old 10-31-2011, 01:31 PM

Is that cheatin'?
Old 10-31-2011, 03:28 PM

Like to consider it a Senior Citizen handicap...just allows my older peepers to get locked in on the fly line a little quicker....it is still part of your leader....not bobber fishing....in one of my favorite fly fishing books..."Flying Fishing Through a Mid-Life Crisis"...one of the authors sons asked him about the use of indicators when using a nymph...wanted to know what the difference between that and bait fishing was....
Old 10-31-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
Is that cheatin'?
Only if a purist is looking.

I'm no great expert on this but second what has been said. Pick any point from the tip of the fly line to the leader that you can watch consistently. If it does anything out of the ordinary, set the hook.

You're going to set the hook on a lot of bottom bounces and rock hops but after catching a few fish this way, the way the line behaves when a fish takes the nymph is different than when the nymph bounces over a rock. I can't describe it but it is just different and when you see it you'll know.

If you have a lot of slack in the leader and tippet, the fish will have taken it and spit it back out before you can react. If it's too tight, the drift may not be natural.

I know, pretty basic common sense stuff but it works for me (usually).

Jeff
Old 10-31-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Hackle View Post
Blueraider watch the line if it moves,hesitates or just does something weird set the hook. It's free.You can set as many times as you want won't cost you an extra dime. That's the best advise I got when I started fishing w/o an indicator. Walter showed me how to nymph. the leader is really important also. This is the one I use 15'' of .017, 15'' of .015, 15'' of .013,12'' of 0X, 12'' of 2X, 12'' of 3X leave a long tag with this to attach first nymph 8'' or so on tag, 26'' of 4X for the second fly. Add 1 or 2 BB shot between the flies. Use a tuck cast so the flies hit the water first before the flyline. Keep up with the drift with your rod tip control your slack. The leader formula is a Harvey Leader by Joe Humphrey's. Check out his videos their awesome.
Listen I'm off all this next week and I live in Maryville. I will be fishing the Park at least 3 or 4 times. If you want to hook up and fish that be OK with me . I can show you some stuff that I do and you can go from there.
Lynn

Thanks for the info! This is a technique I need to learn, maybe I'll spend some time this Nov with the 6 wt out and work on this.

In addition to the Tuck cast, what would be your go-to cast in situations where the overhang prevents a full out overhead cast or in other tight situations?