Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-02-2011, 01:06 PM

Default Anyone fished Jake's Creek in the last few days?

I've never fished Jake's Creek, and I've wanted to do so for some time. My impression is that it's really tight and stays that way all the way up stream.

So, I really have two questions:
1) does it open up upstream at all?
2) as small as it is (or appears to be) and as low as the water has been, is that a wise use of one's (my) very limited fishing time?

I know I've posted recently about going after larger browns, so I'm assuming this post has some of you scratching your heads. Clearly I'm still scratching mine! ;-)
Old 11-02-2011, 01:10 PM

Jakes is kind of small for large fish. I have caught them in the 10" range though. I would hike about 20 minutes up the Litte River trail where the bank climbs to about 15-20ft from the trail and then suddenly drops down and start fishing. The water is more open and there are some deeper holes.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:14 PM

Is that up the little river trail or the jakes creek trail?
Old 11-02-2011, 01:45 PM

Up the jakes creek trail - if I remember right, you go down the road through elkmont past the LR trail through the area with all the cabins to reach the trail head. I parked way up at the horse paddock at the end of the road to reach the stream below where the Meigs Mtn trail crosses it and use used the stream as my trail the whole way in and out. I have only fished there once, but I found the fish to be pretty willing and had would probably return.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:27 AM

I love fishing Jake's Creek...I usually will start fishing where it enters LR in the campground...have a chance for a brown down here...will fish up to the bridge to the cemetery and then climb up above the cabins...it opens up a little more here...since they did the work last summer you cannot drive up to the old trail head...the new parking area is where the bridge is...a lot of nice plunge pools...all the fishing is tight so a shorter rod will help...always a good place to keep in mind on those days when the rivers are up.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:48 AM

I got to fish Jakes October 26, a few days after some decent rain. The fishing was slow, but so am I... and clumsy and impatient along with some other less than admirable traits, but I enjoyed the attempt nonetheless. There is some fairly open water (by GSMNP standards) below the Meigs Mountain Trail crossing (points 3 & 4 on the map). Stream is 15 to 20 feet wide there. Getting back on the trail there I met a nice couple from Colorado, who asked if I was catching anything. Wishing to pursue other topics, I said it was nice of them to visit our "little mountains." They countered that the Smokies are an altogether different kind of place. The absolutely loved being here. Made this hillbilly right proud.

2/15 Update: Deleted map image previously posted.

JF

Spot 1

Spot 2

Spot 3. This is the widest pool & run I found.

Spot 4. Head of pool in spot 3 pic.

Spot 5. An inviting pool I did not get to fish due to lack of time.

Spot 6. Not an especially good fishing spot, but a great set of cascades. This was taken from the crossing on the unmaintained trail to Advent Cabin.

Spot 7. Newt Prong crossing. Jakes Creek is just to the right.

Last edited by JoeFred; 02-15-2012 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: To help protect the wellbeing of the waters, etc.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubefisher View Post
I've never fished Jake's Creek, and I've wanted to do so for some time. My impression is that it's really tight and stays that way all the way up stream.

So, I really have two questions:
1) does it open up upstream at all?
2) as small as it is (or appears to be) and as low as the water has been, is that a wise use of one's (my) very limited fishing time?
I haven't been in the last few days but was up there recently although the leaves had not yet started to fall and the water a bit higher...

It is one of my favorite small streams so far based on my limited park fishing exp. I think it fishes great under normal water conditions and excellent with some rain. I routinely catch nice bows and browns on almost every trip. I think the key is to be the first if not only person on the stream. I usually fish from the campground and then up Newt Prong. There are some nice holes that have some good fish but people seem to think it's too tight... fine by me!

Some Jakes Creek locals...

Tight Lines,
Old 11-04-2011, 02:02 PM

tnflyfisher, great lookin' locals, even without teeth & shoes (that coming from a local myself). Without getting too specific, how far up have you found browns?

JF
Old 11-04-2011, 04:12 PM

Default More locals

This was a last year.

These two were the only browns I've ever caught in Jake's.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:19 PM

I was refering to the Little River trail since you had mentioned larger fish. Jakes is a nice creek though and, as you can see, offers decent size fish. I usually fish the lower portions of Jakes Creek when I fish it. Let us know how you did.