Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 11-05-2011, 04:43 AM

Default San juan bluegills?

While fishing the Trophy section in Cherokee,I saw a man using a strike indiicator made of yarn like mat'l.Bought a pack at Don's just out of curiosity(don't use indicators).I slipped one on to experiment.Can't hardly sink one.I was using a San Juan Worm-further exp-and I got to thinking-always dangerous!I wonder if bluegills would hit a SJW.The indicator could act as a bobber.Bream hit worms under a float regularly and they make SJWs in brown.I think this would work unless scent is a factor,although there is that spray on gunk the Bass winchers use.Regardless,I'm going to try out the indicator/SJW combo in the Spring or if I make it to my fav spot on the St.John's .Any thoughts?
Old 11-05-2011, 08:14 AM

They've worked for me. I generally use scarlet ones with a small beadhead. You can use a small popper with the worm dropped off the bend of the hook. I use thingamabobbers when I want to set an indicator deeper than 2'. As I rarely go heavier than a very soft 3 wt. when I chase gills, I find the small size thingamabobbers cast well.

Charlie
Old 11-05-2011, 01:05 PM

Default Thingamabob

I TRIED THOSE ALSO.hAD PROBLEMS KEEPING THEM IN.tHE YARN THINGIES SEEM TO STAY IN PLACE BETTER WHILE ADJUSTABLE.i use a 6wt because a Bass will attack sometimes.Crap,fingers keep hitting the capslock.Also,the bream on the St.Johns run 9-11"and bend the 6wt very well!Guess I"ll buy a selection of SJW 's in all colors.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:07 PM

I catch a lot of bluegills on sj worms and different variants I tie.

I've never had luck with just letting one hang below a popper. They always hit the worms on the move. Usually, twitch or slowly strip it in and then let it sit for a couple seconds and repeat. The gills almost always eitehr hit it while it's falling, or immediately after it starts moving again.

Jeff
Old 11-09-2011, 09:52 AM

Bluegill will hit anything in the water. My mother used to fish in a pond in central Ohio just after dinosaurs died out. They would hit a hook with a piece of yarn wrapped around it. Just put a little action or movement on it. Throw a piece of wood or a leaf into the water. They will come up for a look-see. Some will even hit it to see if it's edible.
I like to fish for bluegill with a lightly weighted nymph. Watch for a twitch in the line- fish on! Loads of fun and they are great eating.