Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-04-2011, 04:58 PM

Default Looking for Help with Historical Research on the Park

I am in the process of writing an essay for a graduate level Rhetoric course at UT-Knoxville. The course is a Southern Rhetoric course--how the South represented through Rhetoric, etc.

The essay is on the formation of the Park; specifically, what I am interested in exploring are its effects on the residents of what is now the Park. Of course, since it is a historical essay, I will also delve into how the idea for the Park originated, how the idea was made reality, etc. But, that sort of stuff is rather easy to research, so what I am needing help with is finding people, or descendants of people, who lived in the Park during its inception and have personal stories they wouldn't mind sharing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:30 PM

Hey Greenie,

I can help you but we need to meet first. I know a few people who grew up in Cades Cove, they were the last to leave. I also know several descendants. One of them is my friend Jack Gregory. Shoot me an e-mail or call and we can meet here at the shop. I want to get to know you first. Townsend is a good place to start.

Byron
Old 11-04-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Begley View Post
Hey Greenie,

I can help you but we need to meet first. I know a few people who grew up in Cades Cove, they were the last to leave. I also know several descendants. One of them is my friend Jack Gregory. Shoot me an e-mail or call and we can meet here at the shop. I want to get to know you first. Townsend is a good place to start.

Byron
Thank you so much, Mr. Begley. I have sent you an email.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:07 AM

Hi Greenie,

Better send it again. I did not see it this morning. I zap one accidently every once in a while thinking it is spam.

byron@littleriveroutfitters.com

Byron
Old 11-05-2011, 09:19 PM

Greenie, there are a large number of people who lived in and had decendants who lived in the park in Bryson City N.C. I would venture a guess that Mr. Casada could help you or if you wanted to make a trip to Bryson I'm sure you could get "tons" of good info there.......Bob
Old 11-07-2011, 07:36 PM

Greenie--As FearNoFishBob says, I've spent a lot of time delving into Park history. To some degree your first question (and I'm speaking as a recovering university professor) whould be one of parameters. You'll need to narrow things down some and maybe zero in on one aspect of the overall approach you mention. There are three histories of the Park (two of them fairly recent), with Margaret Brown's being the best. Look at it for sure. Then you might want to decide on a geographical section of the Park. Probably the richest in terms of human history are Cades Cove, Cataloochee, Greenbrier, and Hazel Creek. There are detailed historical treatments of all but Greenbrier, and even in that case there's considerable information. The bibliography in my book on fishing the Park runs to 15 pages or so and should give you some guidance.

I guess what I'm really saying is that if you'll give me more specifics I think that in turn I can give you fuller guidance.
Jim Casada
Old 11-08-2011, 01:32 AM

Default Just curious?

Mr. Casada or anyone? It would seem to me that Bryson City would have a rich and interesting history with it's proximity to the park. Are there any specific books or articles anyone would suggest related to it. I know it is mentioned briefly in some books surrounding the park and by "Kep", but I suppose I am thinking more in line with writings by locals or perhaps some of the former residents that were displaced by the forming of the "park".

Mike
"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton
Old 11-08-2011, 10:51 AM

pmike--Kephart was dead by the time of the Park's actual creation, so other than being one of its progenitors, he's not much help. For the North Shore area, Duane Oliver's books focusing on Hazel Creek and the Little Tennessee River drainage are first rate. John Parris, in his books (there are several of them, all collections of his newspaper columns) has lots of vignettes of folks like Granville Calhoun, the squire of Hazel Creek. I've written a great deal, in newspaper form, on various aspects of local history (Bryson City and Swain County) and its links to the Park. I've also written extensively, again in newspaper or magazine form, about selected residents who once lived in the Park--Mark Cathey, Sam Hunnicutt, my father, and others. Most of those pieces--scores if not hundreds of them--appeared in the "Smoky Mountain Times" or in outdoor magazines. My brother, Don, is working on a long-term project which focuses on the region's human history. Lance Holland's "Fontana" is actually more about the North Shore. There's more, and I wish I had talked at greater length with folks old enough to remember life in what became the Park in pre-Park days.Without question there's a need for a book on this area and lots of folks have urged me to do one. Maybe someday, but right now I've got about half a dozen other projects in the works.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 11-08-2011, 12:44 PM

Default Thanks Jim

I'll check into the sources you mentioned. I have read a few of your columns and intend to look back over the ones I missed. The historical aspect of your "Pursuit of Passion" is one of it's most interesting aspects to me, and as I say that I want to make sure to say once more how much I have enjoyed reading and rereading it for not only the history, but the information overall...great book! In mention of Mr. Kephart, I was just thinking of a few references made by him of Bryson City, which seemed incidental in his mention of some of the folks he associated with.

I never did particularly well in school, but have always had a fondness for history and can only imagine how rich the history of the Bryson City area might be. Out of all of my childhood ventures to the mountains, we omnly stayed in Bryson City twice, but those were two of my most enjoyable trips.

Thanks for the suggestions and God Bless,
MIke
"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton
Old 11-16-2011, 06:46 PM

Greenie,

I look forward to meeting you on Monday. I talked to Will last night at a reception. His mother and her parents were one of the last two families to leave Cades Cove. They are my neighbors. Will agreed to meet with you and share some names for you to contact if you pass muster. Maybe you will get to meet his mother. She is a great lady. Her father is still living but he is very old. You can go to Will's office after we meet. He manages the bank next to the shop. I have some other names for you.

Byron