Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 11-07-2011, 10:37 AM

Default Site advice for 11/18 - 11/20

It has been a great year for me getting to the park. I have received permission for another long weekend trip, and will be spending a few nights in the backcountry the weekend before turkey day. I'll spend Thursday night in Townsend and hike in Friday morning, out Sunday..

Last month I tried Indian Creek and campsite #46, but the fishing was really hard, I suspect due in part to low water and the rest due to my ability (lack there of). I have also stayed at 17, 18, 24, 30, 59 this year.

I am leaning towards going to site 24 again or maybe 23. Will water levels be good at 23 right now?

I will have my 63 year old Father-In-Law along. He is in good shape for his age, but I have been enduring bitching about going up and over the mountain ridge (Baumgardner I believe it is called) on Deep Creek. I had checked the starting and ending elevation but not the changes between on that trip.

Am I missing any obvious sites that would be good for this trip?

Thanks in advance!
-Matt-

Last edited by mattblick; 11-07-2011 at 12:26 PM..
Old 11-07-2011, 11:09 AM

23 is good fishing and the water levels are fine right now this week at least. 23 is a long hike with a pack though your father in law might not be happy there 24 is closer as far as mileage. Man you have hit a lot of site this year Matt!

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 11-07-2011, 11:15 AM

What time of year did you stay at 17 and what was your impression of it? Did you do any fishing there?
Old 11-07-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDuncan View Post
What time of year did you stay at 17 and what was your impression of it? Did you do any fishing there?
@NDuncan,

I was at site 17 on 5/27 - 5/29 to celebrate turning 40. The trail up to the site was open, however beyond the site it was still closed from the tornado damage. I didn't get to experience most of the fishing on Abrams because of it (no little or big shoe!). I understand that the trail is fully opened now however, so I definitely plan on going back..

The fishing I could get to was in slow deep water next to the site. I managed to catch a couple chubs and 2 small mouth. A very nice couple was also staying at the site. They had pulled 4 decent bows just below a fallen tree strainer next to the campsite earlier in the day Friday; but only caught one 'bow all day Saturday.

The camp site was very nice, as was the hike to it. You get to go over a nice ridge and enjoy views. At this time of the year, or perhaps once there is a bit of snow on the ground, the views will be spectacular.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
23 is good fishing and the water levels are fine right now this week at least. 23 is a long hike with a pack though your father in law might not be happy there 24 is closer as far as mileage. Man you have hit a lot of site this year Matt!
@Adam; thanks for the info. How did you do @23?

This year has been great! Most of my trips have just been 2 nighters, but also a 3 nighter and a 1 nighter. The one night trip was notable (site 18 ) as it was my son's first backpacking trip. He had a blast which means I will catch less **** from the wife for, "going off on your own." now that the boy will be able to join me. I'm hoping to take him out next on his Spring break..

I will continue working on my daughter to join us, however I fear she (like her mother) will be unwilling to **** in the woods.

Thanks for the heads up on mileage; he seems to be fine on distance but not gradient. I did 30 with him, and we have been to 23 together though it was probably 5 years ago.

-Matt-
Old 11-07-2011, 05:42 PM

My favorite site is 24 just because of all the different points to access fishing....stayed at 24 in mid June with my son....walked almost to 30 and had some great fishing for specs....like this water since there is a chance to catch all three species in the same stream
Old 11-11-2011, 09:34 AM

Matt I did good at 23. Mundele and I fished way up Fish Camp Prong and really enjoyed it. I was there one night and caught probably 30 - 40 range. Thanks for the report on 17 I have been there a couple of times but never fished it. I did run into another guy fishing there and he was having no luck. I have snorkeled a lot down at the Abrams Creek front country campground and seen lots of smallmouth and chubs but no trout.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...