Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-13-2011, 10:17 PM

Default Short Smoky Mountain trip this weekend

My wife and I made a quick trip from Indianapolis this weekend to Townsend, we have fly fished this since 1992 or 3. Visited the first Little River Outfitters when 2 people could not turn around in the shop.
While visiting LTO friday morning there were 2 gentleman from Knoxville looking for a specific fly tyig book, driving a green jeep. We drove up to Abrams Falls and as we were walking in the same 2 guys were at the bridge taking temps. They discussued where we were heading on Abrams and wanted to make sure we had plenty of room so they did not crowd us. We were not going that far in and they made sure to state they would go farther upstream not to crowd us. These guys were real gentlemen and understood the ettiquete of fly fishing. They definately have read what this sport is all about. Thanks guys.
The next day we were on little River close to the entrance to Elkmont, My wife and I hit the river in an area we enjoy. I went up and she went down about 50 yards apart. Within about 45 minutes 2 guys in a SUV from Alabama pulled in the lot. Once they were dressed, one walked upstream and eventually walked around the bend of the stream where I could not see him. The other proceeded to get in the water between my wife and I. No comment other than why is it some people who fly fish do nto understand what this sport is all about. She felt intimitaded and left the stream. We moved to another area. This always bothers me because I would never crowd another in a sport lke this. Otherwise I would take up golf again.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:02 AM

woody55-

My wife and I fished 3 days last weekend at Beaver's Bend Park in SE Oklahoma, and we had a similar experience with being crowded on a trout pool. Without trying to sound snobbish or elitist, I think fly flingers are more respectful of another flinger at a particular fishing spot. They will wait for a few minutes to see if you move on, if not they will try another "hole" and come back when you're finished.

Wish I could say the same about spin fishers. We were fishing a hole catching rainbows, and 3 spin fishers moved right in on us, and started casting right over our lines that were drifting with the current. I finally said "EXCUSE ME", and they still stayed where they were at. My wife & I got PO'd and left to move upstream. Later, I saw these same guys, and they had a stringer full of fish. Meat Hunters all of them. Oklahoma doesn't have slot limits, except on what they call "Red Zones, but these guys strung up every fish they caught!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against spin fishers. I still use one for bass & crappie when they are deep in cover. But courtesy and respect toward other fishers has always been our creedo, why is it that the same respect is not shown by spin fishers as a group? Does TU and FFF, and fly fishing magazines do a better job at educating us on proper courtesy & ethics?

My wife & I decided we would go back to Beaver's Bend, but it would be during the week, without the crowds.

Bill
Old 11-14-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody55 View Post
My wife and I made a quick trip from Indianapolis this weekend to Townsend, we have fly fished this since 1992 or 3. Visited the first Little River Outfitters when 2 people could not turn around in the shop.
While visiting LTO friday morning there were 2 gentleman from Knoxville looking for a specific fly tyig book, driving a green jeep. We drove up to Abrams Falls and as we were walking in the same 2 guys were at the bridge taking temps. They discussued where we were heading on Abrams and wanted to make sure we had plenty of room so they did not crowd us. We were not going that far in and they made sure to state they would go farther upstream not to crowd us. These guys were real gentlemen and understood the ettiquete of fly fishing. They definately have read what this sport is all about. Thanks guys.
The next day we were on little River close to the entrance to Elkmont, My wife and I hit the river in an area we enjoy. I went up and she went down about 50 yards apart. Within about 45 minutes 2 guys in a SUV from Alabama pulled in the lot. Once they were dressed, one walked upstream and eventually walked around the bend of the stream where I could not see him. The other proceeded to get in the water between my wife and I. No comment other than why is it some people who fly fish do nto understand what this sport is all about. She felt intimitaded and left the stream. We moved to another area. This always bothers me because I would never crowd another in a sport lke this. Otherwise I would take up golf again.

Other than that, how was the fishing? I think a lot of times we tend to forget that there are inconsiderate people everywhere, even in fly fishing. That is exactly why I almost never fish within a 1/2 mile of a road or parking area. Most of the inconsiderate people you will encounter are also the ones that are too lazy to hike in somewhere out of the way.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:29 PM

Fishing was good. Wife and I picked up a few each on Friday, biggest was around 11 ' bow
Friday before we were ran out of our spot, I had just caught 9-10' brown. Started seeing some insects and was sure it would be a good day.
Shame there are people that do not respect others, could not live wiht myself if I fished like that
Old 11-15-2011, 08:09 PM

The world is full of A__holes. I don't understand it either. Did you call him out on it? Some people are just ignorant and/or rude. The way I see it is that none of these people will ever learn until someone teaches them.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:44 AM

Smile If you frequent the Smokies enough you have to learn to accept the tourons

Since you were roadside on the most heavily fished stream in the park, I do not find you experience surprising. Since you chose not to say anything, we'll never know whether they were rude or ignorant. I saw a group of tourists at another fly shop on Wednesday (didn't pass through Townsend or I would have surely stopped at my favorite shop). Harold was showing them all the trout magnets, and they immediately wanted the brightest colors, until Harold pointed out that muted colors worked better for the wild fish in the park. On one hand, they hadn't a clue, and I'm sure they didn't do much more than scare some fish. But at the same time they were 6 guys having a good time, and looked to be achieving a happy vacation. We all have different goals and objectives, and while I may enjoy kayaking, off-trailing, and remote Brookie fishing, I realize that some people just enjoy driving around and getting out of their car every now and again. The park is big enough for everybody to enjoy themselves, and I'm glad you moved on to other water. Another contributing factor may have been that you were not only on the busiest stream, but at a very busy spot during the time people are chasing spawning Browns (triple threat). Like other have mentioned, if your willing to hike a little (often less than a 1/2 mile) you will run into less people and the fisherman you run into seem to be better behaved
Old 11-16-2011, 01:47 PM

Very rarely have I ever had a problem with rude fishermen in the "back country"...the only place I have found the 1/2 mile rule not to apply is on the LR trail above Elkmont...such an easy trail that a lot of people will traverse that first mile up to the old turn around...earlier this fall my fishing buddy and I were on our annual fall trip and had decided to fish up the gorge above the Chimney's picnic area to the Chimney's trailhead...we had made it to the lower side of the tunnel when two fishermen popped out of the rhodo after having slid down the mountain....imagine their surprise at seeing us....after inquiring of our intentions they politely said they would leave us alone and disappeared back up the mountain....I know the feeling but it was nice to know that there is a mutual respect among the ethical trout chasers out there.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:30 PM

I've found that as long as the person is 10-15 minutes ahead of me on the river (enough time for the fish to calm down) my catch rate is the same...having said that, I don't get as many rises as others.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:03 PM

thanks to all for your comments. Still when I travel 6 1/2 hours to a trout stream, I just expect to see respectful people. No I did not comment on the lack of being understanding of stream ettiquite. You can push ideas at some people and it does not make a difference.
We just returned from 8 days in Cody, WY and Yellowstone, do not recall the same lack of respect on roadside streams. I do realize you walk a little bit and get away from the crowd, we have never had anyone along the road that dis-respectful in my experience in the Smoky's. I have been fishing there since 1992 or 3. about the time of the opening of LRO's first shop.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDuncan View Post
I think a lot of times we tend to forget that there are inconsiderate people everywhere, even in fly fishing. That is exactly why I almost never fish within a 1/2 mile of a road or parking area. Most of the inconsiderate people you will encounter are also the ones that are too lazy to hike in somewhere out of the way.
Very well said.

When fishing at a tourist destination during peak of tourism season, I would expect nothing less. I would bet probably 90% of the people who fish the park put in less than 1/2 mile of leg work before fishing. If I ever make it to Yellowstone, I would expect to see the same thing along all the major riverside roadways. Likewise, I have family that says they love going to the mountains and that they go at least once a month. When I question where they went the typical response is Gatlinburg. Same type of mentality in my opinion.

Common courtesy and personal responsibility are becoming much less the norm in society today. So, when everybody else shuns the practice of these two, I take action myself to not allow it to ruin my day. In the mountains hike in before fishing, and on tailwaters seek out private property to fish. When I do that, I find that instances which would detract from an otherwise peaceful experience are no longer present.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler