Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 11-14-2011, 06:48 PM

Default Tube Fly Vise

I am interested in getting a vise for Tube Flies. I was wondering if any of the participants of this board tie tube flies and what vises they recommend. I am in the process of looking at equipment to get into tying tube flies. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:13 AM

Trico-

Just about any of the quality vises will work for you. Renzetti, Regal, Dyna, Griffen are some of the quality vises. Probably the most important thing to look for in a vise is the jaw that holds the hook. Look for one that can tie anything from large to very small hooks: saltwater to small nymphs. The 360 vises are nice to "spin" the fly as you are tying. The bottom of the fly is probably more important than the top in that the fish will see the bottom first as they rise to take it on dries & emergers.

Avoid the so-called kits from the big box major suppliers. Usually they give you an inexpensive vise and a few materials which are not what you are looking for. Buy the vise, and the tying tools, and then go shop for your tying materials. A quality vise will last you a lifetime.

Bill
Old 11-24-2011, 04:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to Redfish62
Default Tube fly vise

I discovered tube flies about a year ago and went about tying some with my vise. The jaws have notches that allow it to hold larger hooks for bass flies and such. After some experiments I found that a Allan wrench that fits snugly into the tube and bent a little to make it horizontal when clamped works great.