Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 11-19-2011, 11:55 PM

Default Somebody please explain

the old saying which now I believe to totally be true....

Wind from east....fishing the least
Wind from west....fishing the best.

winds out of east two weeks ago for four days. we fished hard, and could barely buy a fish. The winds changed and we slammed the red the final two days....
Old 11-20-2011, 01:29 PM

Best I can tell is that the eastern winds have a different effect on the barometric pressures. By the ways the winds set up is a relation from difffent fronts even if they seem small to us can be very detectable to wildlife. Eastern winds come more off the coast verses drier air and winds from the west
Old 11-20-2011, 06:32 PM

From thermodynamics, air will move from hot to cold, high pressure to low pressure. What that means is that an east wind indicates the location of a low pressure system somewhere to the west of your location. Fish somehow sense an approaching low pressure system, stop feeding, and move to deeper water. Since low pressure systems tend to move generally toward the northeast, and spin counterclockwise, how do the fish know?

I've never understood how fish can sense an approaching low, and run for cover. Water has a uniform pressure as depth increases. How can a drop (or dropping) in air pressure cause this effect?

Bill
Old 11-20-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckytroutbum View Post
From thermodynamics, air will move from hot to cold, high pressure to low pressure. What that means is that an east wind indicates the location of a low pressure system somewhere to the west of your location. Fish somehow sense an approaching low pressure system, stop feeding, and move to deeper water. Since low pressure systems tend to move generally toward the northeast, and spin counterclockwise, how do the fish know?

I've never understood how fish can sense an approaching low, and run for cover. Water has a uniform pressure as depth increases. How can a drop (or dropping) in air pressure cause this effect?

Bill
Bill,
I hope I can help elaborate on your post with my personal view of the topic. That idea generally applies to deep water or water more than 10' deep. Also; it depends on a many conditions that influence the properties of water (salinity, temperature, altitude, moon phase, oxygen content, etc.). Shallow water is very impressionable and atmospheres of pressure can be amplified in shallow water. The speed the changes occur influence the fish's ability to feed and not to feed. Kind of like our ability to adjust to altitude. Also; high pressures usually move in steadily and move out steadily. In contrast; low pressures move in rapidly and with extreme changes in atmospheres (barometric pressure). This is my opinion on my research and from digesting my fishing reports as a whole.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 11-21-2011, 08:23 AM

Guys,
I just realized this topic was in the saltwater category. So; I my ideas may be completely off topic.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 11-21-2011, 11:19 AM

Shawn-

I think your comments are valid, and that this is a multi-faceted phenomenon.

I agree with flatflyn that an approaching low causes the fishing to shut down until it passes. I've been become friends with several guides in the Carib., and during the slack time on the flats, we've discussed this occurance, and the possible reasons. They don't have an answer either, and could only guess that perhaps a fish's lateral line, which sense vibrations, may also sense pressure.

Bill
Old 11-21-2011, 02:10 PM

Weather does have a profound effect on fishing. I lived in central KY for several years. I was fishing a farm pond just before a front came through. I caught bass like crazy! When the front hit- strong north wind, they shut off like they were on a switch.
Also, heard- "wind from the south...blow the bait into their mouth.
North wind- forget it!
Old 12-01-2011, 05:53 PM

While I have heard that to be the case along much of the eastern seaboard, it is the complete opposite down here in the Keys. A west wind is often a killer to the fishing, while an easterly wind is most preferred.

I believe that down here a west wind generally means that a cold front or other weather system is approaching. The fishing typically improves as the wind swings around the clock and begins to have some east in its direction. Our prevailing wind in the Keys is from some easterly direction - depending on time of year (Fall/Winter ENE-NE, Spring E-ESE, Summer SE). So an easterly wind often means stable conditions, which many flats species prefer.

It's strange the way that conditions impact the fishing from location to location.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:04 PM

Drew-

What you are saying is valid also. In the Keys, and other parts of the Carib., you have the prevailing easterly winds. This is probably due to the so called Mid-Atlantic High out in the Atlantic. Wind will still flow from high to low, hot to cold, as I said.

A west wind in the Carib. could occur with a tropical depression, or hurricane, located to the east, and a high pressure system to the west.

But, as has been said, an approaching low shuts down the fishing, and how do the fish know?

Bill
Old 12-04-2011, 10:23 AM

Don't know anything about saltwater fish, but a falling barometer puts fish off. This seems to be one of the few truisms in fishing. Many have speculated why. Fish have a very sensitive lateral line that can probably sense the change. Maybe their swim bladders also inflate as some suggest. Others have speculated the reduced pressure reduces the DO of the water. Maybe it is all these factors. But consider that a drop in presure fom 30.5 to 29 only equals a water depth change of around 2 1/2 feet. Fish make such changes all the time and still feed. Pressure change also seems to affect hatching insects. How the heck do they know? Mystery of nature.