Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fisheries Management & Biology

Old 11-03-2011, 11:38 PM

Default Deep Creek Fish Community Survey

I posted on my site a PDF of the Deep Creek Fish Community Survey Report 2011 recently prepared by Matt Kulp & Steve Moore. The survey was made possible by a good number of volunteers, some that are members of this forum. I don't believe the report is available elsewhere on the internet yet. Some very interestingly named non-game species are mentioned.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:05 AM

Very interesting. Thanks so much for posting.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:30 AM

Happy to do so, MBB. Thank you.

The rainbows held their own, which is good to hear. Although the relative numbers of browns collected at the "turnaround site" in 1985 compared to 2011 is encouraging, that is not the case for the "campground site." Here is an excerpt about this which I tried to avoid taking out of context:
“Comparisons of the numbers of brown trout collected at the campground site and the turnaround site from 1985 to 2011 show differing results (Figure 4). Comparing 1985 to 2011 data, the number of brown trout collected at the campground site declined 65%, whereas the number collected at the turnaround site increased 77% (Figure 4). The largest brown trout collected at the campground site in 1985 was roughly 22” whereas the largest brown trout collected at the same site in 2011 was roughly 15” (Figure 4). The greatest decline in brown trout numbers at the campground site appears to be in the age-0 size class whereas numbers of brown trout >7” appears to be relatively similar from 1985 to 2011 (Figure 4). At the turnaround site, the increase in brown trout numbers appears to be mostly in the 6-12” size range (Figure 4). The largest brown trout collected at the turnaround site in 1985 (12.5”) and 2011 (12”) was similar (Figure 4).

Although the numbers of brown trout collected in each site changed considerably from 1985 to 2011 (Figure 4), the numbers of rainbow trout did not (Figure 5). Rainbow trout numbers at the campground site and turnaround site were relatively unchanged from 1985 to 2011 (Figure 5). The largest rainbow trout collected at the campground (11.4” & 11.8”) and turnaround sites (11” & 12.6”) respectively were also relatively unchanged from 1985 to 2011 as well (Figure 5).”
Old 11-04-2011, 09:32 AM

that is very enlightening. time to go fish cataloochee proper methinks.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:35 AM

So who do you contact to get on the volunteer list for something like this? Time is always short, but I'd love to be able to volunteer on something like this occasionally.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:41 AM

Matt Kulp. His e-mail address is on the cover of the report. He will be very pleased to hear from you.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB View Post
that is very enlightening. time to go fish cataloochee proper methinks.
Probably, but take a close look at the chart. Most of the sites were at low elevations. Cataloochee was one of the highest elevations. I would love to know the numbers for Forney, Eagle, Little River, Oconaluftee, and Raven Fork at similar elevations.