Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-28-2011, 04:09 PM

Default Nov 23rd WP of the LR

I'm a little late in posting this report but I wet a line for a few hours on Nov 23rd and thought that I would report my results. I fished the West Prong of the Little River along the Laruel Creek road and for a few hundred yards after it leaves civilization behind (crossings eventually became a bit too dicy for my liking so I turned back).

I thought it would be a fools errend in fishing at all since the USGS gauge on the LR read 1200 cf/s but I made the treck to LRO to buy some heavy nymphs and decided to give it a try. To my surprise the fishing was great and the trout were very aggressive. The water was pretty warm and, despite the high flows, there were enough obvious holding lies that I hooked or caught a trout on nearly every "pool" I fished. All fish were 'bows with the largest about 9". I hooked three trout in the green area in the middle of the "pocket" in the pic below.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:21 PM

Very nice! I'm always amazed at how well the WPLR fishes during high water compared to other area streams. Those rainbows sure get on the feed...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com