Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-29-2011, 05:40 PM

Default Fishing at Christmas?

My family will be in G'burg the week before Christmas and I was wondering if it would be worth bringing my gear for a 2-3 hours fishing? If so, where would you recommend? I assume only dredging nymphs/streamers? I've fished the Park a good bit, but not in winter. Any tips appreciated.
Thanks,
Jedidiah
Old 11-29-2011, 07:36 PM

Default cold weather fishing

I fished Little River east prong last January just below Elkmont. Aside from the fact that it was freezing I did pretty well with a BHPT size 20 nymph. Caught about 5 or 6 Rainbows, best one was 9 inches or so. Folks passing on the road must have thought I was a complete nut out in the middle of that river at that time of year, ha ha. Perhaps I was but it was fun for a couple of hours. Needless to say I was the ONLY one out there. Give it a try; you will have fun. Be sure to wear gloves as your hands really suffer from the cold.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:20 PM

Man, always bring your gear; just do not leave it exposed for the thieves.

I would expect the mountains to be pretty cold and you should bring some good gloves.

Give the LRO Shop a call and I am sure they would be more than happy to assist you with any questions. It would also be a great opportunity to stop by their shop.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 11-29-2011, 09:07 PM

Down low might be better that late in the year but I'm not certain. I would try Tremont.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:11 PM

If they didn't all wash away last night,(and you don't mind if you are going for stockers) the Gatlinburg stock truck has been putting nice fish in as they get ready for the Delayed Harvest period that starts December 1.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:21 PM

Fish for 2-3 hours? Beats looking at the gift shops! Definitely go! You have some info to get started.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:16 PM

Default the truth

If the streams of the Great Smoky Mountains are crested with ice,if snow is falling out of the sky with snow flakes the size of hockey pucks,if the temperature tell's you, frostbite is a distinct possibility,if bears and poisonous snakes set up camps on the banks of park streams waiting for your arrival(they probably won't)...grab your gear and come on...because frostbite or being a black bear's munchie,or being tagged by a cold-liking neurotic rattlesnake is 20X better than finding yourself in Pigeon Forge, trying to keep up,following the crowds of Christmas feeling wives,grandmothers,daughters and shoppers alike...I don't think you will do well as a cordial Christmas gift carrier or a cordial hurry up and wait-er .....bring you gear and go for the fishing...
Old 12-02-2011, 01:11 AM

I'll be there the weekend before Christmas and will be trying a bit myself. It sure does beat the crowds in town. I can take $10 in flies and have more fun than if I spent $1000 in Gatlinburg.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
I'll be there the weekend before Christmas and will be trying a bit myself. It sure does beat the crowds in town. I can take $10 in flies and have more fun than if I spent $1000 in Gatlinburg.
Amen brother!!
Old 12-02-2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bran View Post
Amen brother!!

Amen indeed