Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 12-11-2011, 12:50 PM

Default Repairing a leaky neoprene stocking foot?

Yesterday I finally got a chance to go fishing for the first time in two months and the first step I took into the stream, my left boot started filling with water . I toughed it out as long as I could, but the water was high & fast, the fishing was terribly slow, and it's hard to keep your mind on fishing when just one foot is going numb. When I finally got back to the van and shucked out of my waders, I was surprised to find that the leak was not at the seam where the neoprene foot attaches to the leg of the waders, but the wetness started about an inch lower down.

Now, I've read the threads on finding and repairing pinhole leaks in breathable waders, but they are all about the wader sections themselves. I can possibly find the leak by turning the waders inside out and filling that leg with water, but then what? Would Repellex (sp?) work on neoprene? For what it's worth, it appeared at first inspection to be coming from a spot where the excess neoprene bunched up and formed a crease when I tightened the laces on my boot, and not necessarily from a seam in the neoprene foot itself. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome. Except for this one problem, the waders are still in pretty good shape and I'd hate to have to replace them right now.

Thanks, y'all. SC
Old 12-11-2011, 01:12 PM

Fill the offending leg with water and you should see the leak. Mark it and repair with Simms seal or aquaseal. Should not be a problem. I've had good luck repairing neoprene. Wish I could say the same about breathable waders. Just had to chuck a pair after trying to repair a lot of pin hole leaks.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:33 PM

Thanks, silvercreek. After googling up some more information on Aquaseal, that seems to be just the stuff for all manner of waterproofing repairs. Thanks again for the tip, and I'll let y'all know how it works out.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:08 AM

Be sure and scuff up the are with the rasp the patch kit comes with or with some rough sandpaper. Clean the area with some alcohol-not beer. This will help the patch take hold. Also; use a hair-dryer to completely dry the area. If you are using a neoprene patch; you should trim the sides of the patch at an angle so it is less likely to catch an edge and pry loose.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 12-12-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stana Claus View Post
Thanks, silvercreek. After googling up some more information on Aquaseal, that seems to be just the stuff for all manner of waterproofing repairs. Thanks again for the tip, and I'll let y'all know how it works out.
+1 on Aquaseal. You can find it at fly shops, and also scuba shops if there is one close by.

Bill
Old 12-12-2011, 04:09 PM

An additional thought. Loon used to make a repair glue called sunset. You apply it in deep shade and then exposed it to the sun where the UV sets it up quickly. It dries a little less flexible than aquaseal, but it is useful to have if you need to get back on the stream quickly.