Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 12-12-2011, 09:58 PM

Default Can somebody please explain...

why this is done? Why is a resourse hatched, grown, and then released on said date on a river? Why would anyone be so stupid to think you can have a substainable resource when you publish this data?

http://www.tn.gov/twra/fish/StreamRi...ut/sched11.pdf

Is a trout stamp REALLY a food stamp?
Old 12-12-2011, 10:13 PM

From a study done on the Toccoa river in GA most stocked trout only live four months. They are raised for put and take and eat.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:52 PM

"most stocked trout only live four months." I am surprised they live that long. I am quoting from memory, but I believe on the Smith in Va. they only last a month or so. I do know that after a year only around 8% of the stocked rainbows are still alive and kicking. Otters, minks and ospreys work on them pretty hard. Stocked fish are a lot easier for them to catch than wild fish. Also, a lot of the stocked fish never figure out what to eat amd steadily weaken. This is one of the reasons they tend to restock delayed harvest streams periodically.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:52 PM

This goes back to why I was so adamantly opposed to the stupid guide tax being proposed. It is also why I find it offensive when TWRA complains about not having any money.

TWRA is the worst fish and wildlife management organization in the country. No other state would squander the resources they do, and no other state would do such a horrid job of managing the resources they have.

It really is difficult to find one good thing TWRA does, or has done, but there is one.....Wild Turkeys. TWRA did do that, and did it well. However, now they have raised limits to the point of absurdity and the quality of hunting is diminished in the last few years.

Remember they restocked Canada Geese for all of us to enjoy. An awful govt agency, which should be the example of how not to manage fish and game.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:47 AM

waterwolf-

I'm not so sure that TWRA has a monopoly on ignorant wildlife practices.

Oklahoma has a program where they stock trout periodically in the Blue River near Tishomingo in central OK. They stock rainbows in the fall and early winter in this river. When spring comes the water warms quickly and the remaining trout will die off due to warm water temps, and low disolved oxygen. Its strickly a put & take for trout during a short time frame of the year.

The Blue has a great reputation as a smallie river, and my question is why don't they support the smallies, and stock the trout in other cold tailwaters where the trout have a chance of surviving the summer. such as the Lower Mountain Fork? Seems to be a better and more intelligent use of resources. IMHO

Bill
Old 12-13-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
This goes back to why I was so adamantly opposed to the stupid guide tax being proposed. It is also why I find it offensive when TWRA complains about not having any money.

TWRA is the worst fish and wildlife management organization in the country. No other state would squander the resources they do, and no other state would do such a horrid job of managing the resources they have.

It really is difficult to find one good thing TWRA does, or has done, but there is one.....Wild Turkeys. TWRA did do that, and did it well. However, now they have raised limits to the point of absurdity and the quality of hunting is diminished in the last few years.

Remember they restocked Canada Geese for all of us to enjoy. An awful govt agency, which should be the example of how not to manage fish and game.
Don't worry WW, they will get some of that money back from the commercial fishing they are about to let happen on our lakes....it may not be into the TWRA "bank", but somebody will get some money!
Old 12-13-2011, 03:49 PM

Default check your facts

I'm not sure your facts are correct Flat n Fly, the commercial fishermen got the state legislature to get this brain child idea rolling. The state leaders instructed T.W.R.A. to commission a study ($800,000) to determine the effects of using nets on sport fish. TROUT INCLUDED. The cost of the study will come from their budget which our fees support. T.W.R.A. did not introduce this, the state legislature did. T.W.R.A. has thrown it back to the state leaders and said if you want it, pay for it.

Check out the article by Bob Hodge in Sunday's Knox. News Sentinel
c.v.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post

If you think TWRA is bad check out VA's game dept. they are worse. You guys have 100% better trout fishing than VA. I hardly even trout fish in VA anymore. I do most of mine in the Vol state. VA has so many streams that could be with the proper regs and enforcement great fisheries but all they are interested in is put and take. So that the truck chasers will be happy. Sorry about the rant!
Stu
Old 12-13-2011, 10:58 PM

Well I for one am thankful that 1. they even bother to stock these streams and spring creeks, 2. that they bother to tell me when I should expect that there will be Trout in these waters, that around here are marginal Trout water at best.
I've used these schedules to help me pick places to fish when other places weren't fishing well and I almost never keep any fish and I almost never saw anyone else utilizing these places. Most of them in my region are in secluded locations that aren't as conducive to bait fishing as the tailwaters and aren't known for holding over lots of fish. It would sadden me greatly if the decision was made to axe the spring creek stocking because it wasn't being utilized enough to justify the cost in these tough economic times. .

While I don't see the need to give the exact date,, if they didn't provide this data I almost guarantee there would be accusations that TWA trucks are stocking their buddies streams with our Trout etc, etc...

I hope this didn't come across as condescending or smart a-- because it isn't how I intended it. Just an opinion from someone who uses the data and doesn't keep fish.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:50 AM

Waterwolf--You may have a point. I can't remember exactly when it was--sometime in the last few years--there was a huge scandal in the Virginia Dept. of Game & Inland Fisheries (or whatever the exact title is). There were mass firings at the top and court indictments. I don't recall all the details but I know it included things such as highly questionable use of funds, hunting trips in Africa, and much more. It was a huge mess.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com