Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Meet the New Members > New Members Board

Old 02-23-2012, 01:50 PM

Default New member

I have been a member of this board for some time now, and just recently started posting. I have sort of done things out of order. This introduction should have been my first post, but as they say, better late than never.

Please, allow me to introduce my self. My name is Danny, I am from east Tennessee. East Tennessee has always been my home, as you all know ,it is one of the most gorgeous places on earth.

I started fishing a little over a year ago. This was not my first time fishing, I had been a handful of times with my dad and grandfather throughout my life. But last July was the first time I had ever owned a fishing license. I started last July throwing spinners and spoons with a spinning rod. I did this for about 8 weeks.

One day a man (Dr. Jim R) was doing very well with his fly rod, and asked me if I would like to try, i did. That was the start, I bought my first fly rod and started using it around March 2011, i didn't catch my first fish till about 4 weeks later. an addiction was growing, and i began fishing everyday from sun up to sun down. I have been using my own flies exclusively since i started tying. My flies seem to work very well for me, and my friends say the same

Through this experience I have made some wonderful friends, and have had the opportunity to fish with some of the best anglers on the river.

I now have a more demanding job, but i still find time to fish about 5 times a week. The Clinch River is my home. I love this river and she has been good to me.

Sorry for the long winded intro,but I think im going to hang out here for a good long while, and soak up all the mojo all you wonderful anglers are willing to share.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:46 PM

Hello Danny. I grew up in Norris and fished the clinch a fair number of times myself.
Lots of good folks on this board.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:14 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to spotlight

Danny, Welcome to the message board that's a great story you got there.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:08 AM

if you fish the clinch, you will see me around. I look a lot like this guy.

great photo above courtesy of Shawn Madison
Old 02-24-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutmanbrook View Post
<snip>...I now have a more demanding job, but i still find time to fish about 5 times a week.<snip>
Welcome to the board, troutmanbrook. With all the water they've been running down the river for the last several months, I'm curious about your secret for fishing that often (if you don't mind sharing)? Are you floating on 2 generators, or maybe chucking big streamers from the bank? Personally I've always been too timid to even look at the Clinch when they're running the turbines or spilling. But maybe I'm just a wimp and need to man up.

Again, it's good to have you on board and I hope you enjoy your stay.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stana Claus View Post
Welcome to the board, troutmanbrook. With all the water they've been running down the river for the last several months, I'm curious about your secret for fishing that often (if you don't mind sharing)? Are you floating on 2 generators, or maybe chucking big streamers from the bank? Personally I've always been too timid to even look at the Clinch when they're running the turbines or spilling. But maybe I'm just a wimp and need to man up.

Again, it's good to have you on board and I hope you enjoy your stay.
Santa, Thanks for the welcome!

believe it or not, the big guy was caught from the bank throwing midge imitations while the river was pumping 2 gens. Rodney has been with me on a few occasions where we were pulling in pigs left and right on midges with high water flows. There are several good high water places, from the bank, where one can do well with small flies. The key is to add weight to them to "get them down" before your drift is over. Another important thing to take into consideration is the flow, if you can find a pretty slow(er) eddy (eddie?) that is accessible from the bank, you should be in business.
I have also had pretty good success with soft hackles, swinging them in a seam.

When I say I try to fish at least 5 times a week, not all of those days are on the clinch. Often, I have been fishing Norris lake and Cove lake in the evenings, which has been pretty good, for sunfish. Last week I caught a small LM bass with a #16 grey scud! but warm water is not my strong point, I have very little experience fishing lakes on a spinning rod, even less with a fly.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:42 AM

Welcome to the board! Flyfishing is something you can enjoy for many years. I know of several flyflingers who are in their 70's and 80's. I'm not far behind. Thanks for sharing your story and the great pictures!
Old 02-28-2012, 02:06 PM

Welcome aboard the board, Danny. If you will send me your mailing address to info at saintclairmapping dot com, I would like to "put out a welcome map" for you... the Clinch River map, which Shawn contributed to greatly. Looking forward to more great posts from you. – JF
Old 02-28-2012, 02:59 PM

That would be wonderful, I have seen the one that Shawn carries, and it looks awesome!

Last edited by troutmanbrook; 03-02-2012 at 11:04 AM..
Old 02-29-2012, 02:58 PM

Thanks, Danny. I recorded your address so you can edit it out if you'd like. Map should get to you by Friday.

Again... welcome!