Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 12-22-2011, 07:55 AM

Default A bite more about Joe Manley

Joe Manley was an avid fisherman, although his stint as a NPS ranger was only a couple of years in the 1930s. He left the NPS to manage the Gatlinburg water works where he stayed until he retired in the early 1980s. One of the pictures of Manley fishing at the Cascades in my newest book was taken in 1948 by Ben East of Outdoor Life a year after he was hired by that magazine. The other picture in the book is a goof up. It is Manley with a largemouth bass caught on Cherokee Lake. It was supposed to be of Manley with a big musky caught in the Little T back when those leviathans were still common there.
I am not sure how Manley slipped beneath being well known these days, as he is without question the key bridge between the earliest fishing guides, such as Matt Whittle the so-called Izaak Walton of the Smokies and the likes of Ernest Peckinbaugh and Ozark Ripley, and the 1970s. If you were a magazine writer coming to the Smokies in those days, Manley was your contact man. He knew them all; Charlie Elliot, Freddy Moses (I must tell about him some day soonóreal character), Chum Dickey and of course Ben East who was always in the company of entourage of Tennessee Game and Fish employees.
An entire book can be written about the old guides who took fishing those who stayed in Gatlinburg in those days with last names such as Goodyear, Drummonds, Yerkes and Plant to name just a few. My research into such stuff dates back over four decades, a good bit before anyone was digging around much to unravel local fishing history. Let me know if you want to hear more about the old timers
Old 12-24-2011, 01:06 AM

Default Duh

Yeah, I think I would like to hear more. Merry Christmas everybody. My fondest wish is that your stocking may be stuffed by Byron and Paula's fine emporium. Best wishes for the Holidays and the coming year.